[PDF] The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing America and How to Get It Back on Track (Institutions of American Democracy Series)
Posted on 2017-12-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Thomas E. Mann | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 288 | ISBN: 0195174461 | ISBN13: 9780195174465 |
Description: Congress is the first branch of government in the American system, write Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein, but now it is a broken branch, damaged by partisan bickering and internal rancor. The Broken Branch offers both a brilliant diagnosis of the cause of Congressional decline and a much-needed blueprint for change, from two experts who understand politics and revere our institutions, but believe that Congress has become deeply dysfunctional. Mann and Ornstein, two of the nations most renowned and judicious scholars of government and politics, bring to light the historical roots of Congress's current maladies, examining 40 years of uninterrupted Democratic control of the House and the stunning midterm election victory of 1994 that propelled Republicans into the majority in both House and Senate. The byproduct of that long and grueling but ultimately successful Republican campaign, the authors reveal, was a weakened institution bitterly divided between the parties. They highlight the dramatic shift in Congress from a highly decentralized, committee-based institution into a much more regimented one in which party increasingly trumps committee. The resultant changes in the policy processthe demise of regular order, the decline of deliberation, and the weakening of our system of checks and balanceshave all compromised the role of Congress in the American Constitutional system. Indeed, Speaker Dennis Hastert has unabashedly stated that his primary responsibility is to pass the president's legislative programidentifying himself more as a lieutenant of the president than a steward of the house. From tax cuts to the war against Saddam Hussein to a Medicare prescription drug benefit, the legislative process has been bent to serve immediate presidential interests and have often resulted in poorly crafted and stealthily passed laws. Strong majority leadership in Congress, the authors conclude, led not to a vigorous exertion of congressional authority but to a general passivity in the face of executive power. A vivid portrait of an institution that has fallen far from the aspirations of our Founding Fathers, The Broken Branch highlights the costs of a malfunctioning Congress to national policymaking, and outlines what must be done to repair the damage.
The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing America and How to Get It Back on Track (Institutions of American Democracy Series).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34601
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing America and How to Get It Back on Track (Institutions of American Democracy Series)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-03[PDF] The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be [Audiobook]
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Starving Niches: How to Get Into These 10 Highly Profitable Niches Filled With Proven Buyers... Without Becoming an Expert!
- 2017-11-12[PDF] The Secret of How to Get Motivated & Achieve Your Life Goals
- 2017-10-15[PDF] The Long Divergence: How Islamic Law Held Back the Middle East
- 2019-07-25*(Incredible) - Why You Should Read The Broken Ladder: How Inequality Affects the Way We Think, Live, and Die by Keith Payne Online or Download [!PDF !EPUB !MOBI]
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Metropolitan Revolution: How Cities and Metros Are Fixing Our Broken Politics and Fragile Economy (Brookings Focus Book)
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works
- 2017-12-08[PDF] The Unfair Trade: How Our Broken Global Financial System Destroys the Middle Class
- 2017-02-18[PDF] The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works
- 2017-01-17[PDF] The Unfair Trade: How Our Broken Global Financial System Destroys the Middle Class
- 2019-07-23%(Recommended) - Why You Should Read Beauty in the Broken Places: A Memoir of Love, Faith, and Resilience by Allison Pataki Online or Download [MOBI EPUB PDF] - Removed
- 2019-07-18&*(Pleasing) - Why You Should Read The Sisters Are Alright: Changing the Broken Narrative of Black Women in America by Tamara Winfrey Harris Online or Download [`EPUB `MOBI `PDF]
- 2018-02-02[PDF] The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism [Audiobook]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Research Project: How to Write It
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Dragon Seekers: How an Extraordinary Circle of Fossilists Discovered the Dinosaurs and Paved the Way for Darwin
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.