[PDF] Standing by the Ruins: Elegiac Humanism in Wartime and Postwar Lebanon (Modern Language Initiative)
Posted on 2017-11-05, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ken Seigneurie | Publisher: Fordham University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0823234835 | ISBN13: 9780823234837 |
Description: Since the mid-1970s, Lebanon has been at the center of the worldwide rise in sectarian extremism. Its cultural output has both mediated and resisted this rise. Standing by the Ruins reviews the role of culture in supporting sectarianism, yet argues for the emergence of a distinctive aesthetic of resistance to it. Focusing on contemporary Lebanese fiction, film, and popular culture, this book shows how artists reappropriated the twin legacies of commitment literature and the ancient topos of standing by the ruinsto form a new elegiac humanismduring the tumultuous period of 1975 to 2005. It redirects attention to the critical role of culture in conditioning attitudes throughout society and is therefore relevant to other societies facing sectarian extremism.Standing by the Ruins is also a strong intervention in the burgeoning field of World Literature. Elaborating on the great Arabist Hilary Kilpatrick's crucial insight that ancient Arabic forms and topoi filter into modern literature, the author details how the standing by the ruinstopos-and the structure of feeling it conditions-has migrated over time. Modern Arabic novels, feature films, and popular culture, far from being simply cultural imports, are hybrid forms deployed to respond to the challenges of contemporary Arab society. As such, they can take their place within a World Literature paradigm: they are cultural products that travel and intervene in the world.
Standing by the Ruins: Elegiac Humanism in Wartime and Postwar Lebanon (Modern Language Initiative).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33150
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Family Revolution: Marital Strife in Contemporary Chinese Literature and Visual Culture (Modern Language Initiative Books)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Family Revolution: Marital Strife in Contemporary Chinese Literature and Visual Culture (Modern Language Initiative Books)
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Love Among the Ruins: A Memoir of Life and Love in Hamburg, 1945
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Imperfect Garden: The Legacy of Humanism
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Building on the Ruins of the Temple: Apologetics and Polemics in Early Christianity and Rabbinic Judaism (Texts and Studies in Ancient Judaism) [German]
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Love Among the Ruins
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Among the Ruins: A Mystery (Rachel Getty and Esa Khattak Novels) - Removed
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Rising from the Ruins: Roman Antiquities in Neoclassic Literature
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Christo-Fiction: The Ruins of Athens and Jerusalem (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Standing in the Gap: Subposts, Minor Posts, and Picket Stations on the Texas Frontier
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Standing in the Rainbow: A Novel
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Standing in the Spaces: Essays on Clinical Process Trauma and Dissociation
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Christo-Fiction: The Ruins of Athens and Jerusalem (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- 2021-02-12Beginning PHP: Master the latest features of PHP 7 and fully embrace modern PHP development (True PDF)
- 2020-04-20Love Among the Ruins: A Memoir of Life and Love in Hamburg, 1945
- 2019-01-03Standing at the Edge Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet
- 2018-06-15Standing at the Edge Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-08Standing at the Edge Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-12Standing at the Edge: Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.