Posted on 2017-11-30, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christopher Shultis | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 210 | ISBN: 1611685079 | ISBN13: 9781611685077 |
Description: Christopher Shultis has observed an intriguing contrast between John Cageâ€™s affinity for Thoreau and fellow composer Charles Ivesâ€™s connection with Emerson. Although both Thoreau and Emerson have been called transcendentalists, they held different views about the relationship between nature and humanity and about the artistâ€™s role in creativity. Shultis explores the artistâ€™s â€œsoundedâ€ or â€œsilencedâ€ selvesâ€”the self that takes control of the creative experience versus the one that seeks to coexist with itâ€”and shows how recognizing this distinction allows a better understanding of Cage. He then extends the contrasts between Emerson and Thoreau to distinctions between objective and projective verse. Having placed Cage in this experimental tradition of music, poetry, and literature, Shultis offers provocative interpretations of Cageâ€™s aesthetic views, especially as they concern the issue of non-intention, and addresses some of his most path-breaking music as well as several experimentally innovative written works.
Silencing the Sounded Self: John Cage and the American Experimental Tradition.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33923
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Silencing the Self Across Cultures: Depression and Gender in the Social World
- 2017-12-20[PDF] John Cage and Buddhist Ecopoetics: John Cage and the Performance of Nature (New Directions in Religion and Literature)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Silencing the Self Across Cultures: Depression and Gender in the Social World
- 2020-07-18John Cage: A Mycological Foray: Variations on Mushrooms
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Silencing the Queen: The Literary Histories of Shelamzion and Other Jewish Women (Texts & Studies in Ancient Judaism)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Silencing the Past (20th anniversary edition): Power and the Production of History
- 2017-10-21[PDF] John Cage and David Tudor: Correspondence on Interpretation and Performance (Music since 1900)
- 2012-01-16Yellow Eyes - John Ringo And Tom Kratman
- 2012-01-05Yellow Eyes - John Ringo And Tom Kratman
- 2012-01-04Yellow Eyes - John Ringo And Tom Kratman
- 2019-01-15John Cage and Buddhist Ecopoetics
- 2019-01-10John Cage and Buddhist Ecopoetics
- 2018-12-28John Cage and Buddhist Ecopoetics
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Rebuilding the American City: Design and Strategy for the 21st Century Urban Core
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Pushing the Envelope: Experimental Directions in the Archaeology of Stone Tools (Focus on Civilizations and Cultures)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] War, the American State, and Politics since 1898
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The Air National Guard and the American Military Tradition: Militiaman, Volunteer, and Professional
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Silencing the Sea: Secular Rhythms in Palestinian Poetry
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.