Posted on 2017-11-11, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ben Hellwarth | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 400 | ISBN: 0743247450 | ISBN13: 9780743247450 |
Description: Sealab is the underwater Right Stuff: the compelling story of how a US Navy program sought to develop the marine equivalent of the space stationâ€”and forever changed manâ€™s relationship to the sea. While NASA was trying to put a man on the moon, the US Navy launched a series of daring experiments to prove that divers could live and work from a sea-floor base. When the first underwater â€œhabitatâ€ called Sealab was tested in the early 1960s, conventional dives had strict depth limits and lasted for only minutes, not the hours and even days that the visionaries behind Sealab wanted to achieveâ€”for purposes of exploration, scientific research, and to recover submarines and aircraft that had sunk along the continental shelf. The unlikely father of Sealab, George Bond, was a colorful former country doctor who joined the Navy later in life and became obsessed with these unanswered questions: How long can a diver stay underwater? How deep can a diver go? Sealab never received the attention it deserved, yet the program inspired explorers like Jacques Cousteau, broke age-old depth barriers, and revolutionized deep-sea diving by demonstrating that living on the seabed was not science fiction. Today divers on commercial oil rigs and Navy divers engaged in classified missions rely on methods pioneered during Sealab. Sealab is a true story of heroism and discovery: men unafraid to test the limits of physical endurance to conquer a hostile undersea frontier. It is also a story of frustration and a government unwilling to take the same risks underwater that it did in space. Ben Hellwarth, a veteran journalist, interviewed many surviving participants from the three Sealab experiments and conducted extensive documentary research to write the first comprehensive account of one of the most important and least known experiments in US history.
Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33374
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
- 2020-03-16Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
- 2013-09-20Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Migrant Women's Voices: Talking About Life and Work in the UK Since 1945
- 2017-12-25[PDF] From Silicon Valley to Shenzhen: Global Production and Work in the IT Industry (Asia/Pacific/Perspectives)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Futurecast: How Superpowers, Populations, and Globalization Will Change the Way You Live and Work
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Young Catholic America: Emerging Adults In, Out of, and Gone from the Church
- 2017-10-30[PDF] SUMO Your Relationships: How to handle not strangle the people you live and work with
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Hamburger America: One Man's Cross-Country Odyssey to Find the Best Burgers in the Nation [DVD]
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Hidden Waters of New York City: A History and Guide to 101 Forgotten Lakes, Ponds, Creeks, and Streams in the Five Boroughs
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Rereading America: Cultural Contexts for Critical Thinking and Writing (9th edition)
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Futurecast: How Superpowers, Populations, and Globalization Will Change the Way You Live and Work - Removed
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Young Catholic America: Emerging Adults In, Out of, and Gone from the Church
- 2010-12-07Live and Work in Canada (.PDF)
- 2020-09-14Bodies from the Library 2: Forgotten Stories of Mystery and Suspense by the Queens of Crime..[Audiobook]
- 2020-04-27America's Main Street Hotels Transiency and Community in the Early Auto Age [Audiobook]
- 2019-08-24Rediscovering America's Sacred Ground Public Religion and Pursuit of the Good in a Pluralistic Am...
- 2019-08-23LeadAbility Transforming the Way We Live and Work Together
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.