Posted on 2017-11-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Annalee Newitz, read by Kimberly Farr | Category: Audio Books | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 647323ccb1654229871da1108c3388ac |
Description: In its 4.5 billionâ€“year history, life on Earth has been almost erased at least half a dozen times: shattered by asteroid impacts, entombed in ice, smothered by methane, and torn apart by unfathomably powerful megavolcanoes. And we know that another global disaster is eventually headed our way. Can we survive it? How? As a species, Homo sapiens is at a crossroads. Study of our planetâ€™s turbulent past suggests that we are overdue for a catastrophic disaster, whether caused by nature or by human interference. Itâ€™s a frightening prospect, as each of the Earthâ€™s past major disastersâ€”from meteor strikes to bombardment by cosmic radiationâ€”resulted in a mass extinction, where more than 75 percent of the planetâ€™s species died out. But in Scatter, Adapt, and Remember, Annalee Newitz, science journalist and editor of the science Web site io9.com explains that although global disaster is all but inevitable, our chances of long-term species survival are better than ever. Life on Earth has come close to annihilationâ€”humans have, more than once, narrowly avoided extinction just during the last million yearsâ€”but every single time a few creatures survived, evolving to adapt to the harshest of conditions. This brilliantly speculative work of popular science focuses on humanityâ€™s long history of dodging the bullet, as well as on new threats that we may face in years to come. Most important, it explores how scientific breakthroughs today will help us avoid disasters tomorrow. From simulating tsunamis to studying central Turkeyâ€™s ancient underground cities from cultivating cyanobacteria for â€œliving citiesâ€ to designing space elevators to make space colonies cost-effective from using math to stop pandemics to studying the remarkable survival strategies of gray whales, scientists and researchers the world over are discovering the keys to long-term resilience and learning how humans can choose life over death. Newitzâ€™s remarkable and fascinating journey through the science of mass extinctions is a powerful argument about human ingenuity and our ability to change. In a world populated by doomsday preppers and media commentators obsessively forecasting our demise, Scatter, Adapt, and Remember is a compelling voice of hope. It leads us away from apocalyptic thinking into a future where we live to build a better worldâ€”on this planet and perhaps on others. Readers of this book will be equipped scientifically, intellectually, and emotionally to face whatever the future holds.
Scatter, Adapt, and Remember [Audiobook].pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33646
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction - Removed
- 2017-02-09[PDF] Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction
- 2013-05-29Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction (Audiobook)
- 2020-07-02Scatter, Adapt, and Remember How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction
- 2018-12-13Scatter, Adapt, and Remember How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction - Removed
- 2013-09-14Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction - Removed
- 2013-06-14Download Scatter, Adapt, and Remember by Annalee Newitz - Removed
- 2013-05-27Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction
- 2013-05-15Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Fashionably Dead and Wed [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Bismarck, Dorsetshire and Memories (audiobook): 'I was a Witness to the Sinking of the Bismarck!'
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Cowgirl Up and Ride (Audiobook)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Read It and Weep [Audiobook]
- 2020-09-14Adopt Adapt Achieve: An Amazing Triple A Guide for Successful Relocation, Change and Integration (Audiobook)
- 2018-11-01The Playful Entrepreneur How to Adapt and Thrive in Uncertain Times [Audiobook]
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Resilient by Design: Creating Businesses That Adapt and Flourish in a Changing World
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Fire and Ice [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-31[PDF] A Companion to the Philosophy of History and Historiography [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Sun and the Moon: The Remarkable True Account of Hoaxers, Showmen, Dueling Journalists, and Lunar Man-Bats in Nineteenth-century New York[Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.