[PDF] Savoring Power, Consuming the Times: The Metaphors of Food in Medieval and Renaissance Italian Literature [Italian]
Posted on 2017-12-12, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Pina Palma | Publisher: University of Notre Dame Press | Category: History | Language: Italian | Page: 448 | ISBN: 0268038392 | ISBN13: 9780268038397 |
Description: Pina Palmas Savoring Power, Consuming the Times: The Metaphors of Food in Medieval and Renaissance Italian Literature is an innovative look at the writings of five important Italian authorsBoccaccios Decameron, Pulcis Morgante, Boiardos Innamorato, Ariostos Furioso,and Aretinos Ragionamento. Through the prism of gastronomy, Palma examines these key works in the Western literary canon, bringing into focus how their authors use food and gastronomy as a means to critique the social, political, theological, philosophical, and cultural beliefs that constitute the fabric of the society in which they live. Palma begins with the anthropological principle that food represents the universal transformation of nature into culture and that it functions as a language that distinguishes every society and its culture from others. This suggests that foodits preparation, presentation, and consumptionis more than merely a source of nourishment. Rather, Palma argues, foodstuffs function as ethical and aesthetic instruments through which the literary heros virtues and flaws, achievements and failures, can be gauged. Food also serves as a means to maintain, as well as to negotiate, power, social hierarchy, and relationships between the powerful and the powerless. Touching on three centuries that were pivotal for Italian culture, literature, and history, as well as three literary genres, Palmas analysis connects the descriptions and references to food found in these works with the wider culture of Italy in the late medieval and early modern period. "With clarity and wit, Pina Palma has used the central metaphor of food to uncover unexpectedly fresh dimensions of Renaissance intellectual traditions. Her fascinating and original exploration of the connections between food and sexuality, political power, moral hypocrisy, ascetic discipline of the body, and the world of the appetites in a selection of key Italian Renaissance works is sure to engage historians as well as literary scholars." Giuseppe Mazzotta, Yale University "This excellent volume examines some of the major works of Italian medieval and Renaissance literature from the perspective of their references to food and its consumption. It makes a very significant contribution to Italian studies (in its various categories) and can even be of interest to non-Italianists for the insights and information it provides for other geographical areas and literatures in late-medieval/early-modern Europe." Konrad Eisenbichler, University of Toronto "Savoring Power, Consuming the Times is not simply a book about food in Italian literature. It is a subtle and far-reaching work of criticism, which discloses an original aspect of the Renaissance. Not only does food provide a way of accessing a privileged perspective on the Renaissance religious, philosophical, and moral thinking but it is also the perfect means of building an unexpected web of relationships between authors." Salvatore Silvano Nigro, Libera Universita di Lingue e Comunicazione, IULM
Savoring Power, Consuming the Times: The Metaphors of Food in Medieval and Renaissance Italian Literature [Italian].pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34299
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Savoring Power, Consuming the Times: The Metaphors of Food in Medieval and Renaissance Italian Literature [Italian]
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Thief, the Cross and the Wheel: Pain and the Spectacle of Punishment in Medieval and Renaissance Europe - Removed
- 2016-12-22Thief, the Cross and the Wheel Pain and the Spectacle of Punishment in Medieval and Renaissance ...
- 2012-01-12Samantha Power – Chasing the Flame: Sergio Vieira de Mello and the Fight to Save the World - Samantha Power
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Pyramid Power II: The Scientific Evidence (The Flanagan Revelations Book 4)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] 101 Power Crystals: The Ultimate Guide to Magical Crystals, Gems, and Stones for Healing and Transformation
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Tax Power For The Self-Employed: Straightforward Advice From An Expert
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Wind Power for the World: International Reviews and Developments (Pan Stanford Series on Renewable Energy)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] All Power to the Councils!: A Documentary History of the German Revolution of 1918-1919
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Middle Power Internationalism: The North-South Dimension
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Smart Power Generation : The Future of Electricity Production
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Air Power in the Age of Total War
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Black Power in the Caribbean
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Power, Inc.: The Epic Rivalry Between Big Business and Government - and the Reckoning That Lies Ahead
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Low Power to the People: Pirates, Protest, and Politics in FM Radio Activism (Inside Technology) - Removed
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Solar Power for the World: What You Wanted to Know about Photovoltaics (Pan Stanford Series on Renewable Energy)
- 2017-04-08[PDF] Wind Power for the World: The Rise of Modern Wind Energy (Pan Stanford Series on Renewable Energy)
- 2017-02-08[PDF] Power, Inc.: The Epic Rivalry Between Big Business and Government - and the Reckoning That Lies Ahead
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Low Power to the People: Pirates, Protest, and Politics in FM Radio Activism (Inside Technology) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.