[PDF] Religion and American Cultures [3 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions
Posted on 2017-10-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gary Laderman | Publisher: ABC-CLIO | Category: Encyclopedias | Language: English | Page: 1046 | ISBN: 157607238X | ISBN13: 9781576072387 |
Description: According to the foreword of this set, there is a movement in scholarship, begun in the 1970s with the works of Clifford Geertz, that advocates viewing religion as a cultural concept. Overall, the foreword continues, it has proven easier to view religions in distant places from this perspective, rather than the local American varieties. The intent of this encyclopedia seems to be to support this anthropological view of religions and to provide reference material on American religions as "forms of cultural expression." Each of the three volumes has very different content, though all relate to the central focus. Volume 1 contains 13 long chapters on major divisions within American religion, whether defined by ethnic tradition ("African American Religions," "Asian American Religious Communities") or by belief system ("Catholicism in America," "Islam in America), with several distinct sections within each chapter. Each section, the work of an individual contributor, ends with see also references and a bibliography. While what has been chosen for inclusion seems appropriate and instructional, it is necessary to consider what has been left out. For example, "Protestantism in America" is merely 20 pages long and does little to define the differences, cultural or otherwise, separating the denominations. There is not even a word in this chapter on either the Amish or the Mennonites, each surely worthy of mention in any discussion of religion and culture.
Religion and American Cultures [3 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32053
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Writing African American Women [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Literature by and about Women of Color
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Writing African American Women [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Literature by and about Women of Color
- 2017-10-09[PDF] Religion and Popular Music in Europe: New Expressions of Sacred and Secular Identity
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Religion and Spirituality Across Cultures (Cross-Cultural Advancements in Positive Psychology)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Religion and the Law in America [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Personal Belief and Public Policy
- 2013-02-12Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions (repost)
- 2010-04-08Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions
- 2008-12-05Religion and American Cultures: An Encyclopedia of Traditions, Diversity, and Popular Expressions
- 2019-12-19Technical Innovation in American History [3 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Religion and Urbanism: Reconceptualising sustainable cities for South Asia (Routledge Research in Religion and Development)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Religion and The State (Global Issues)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] 'Religion' and the Religions in the English Enlightenment
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Religion and the Decline of Magic: Studies in Popular Beliefs in Sixteenth and Seventeenth-Century England - Removed
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Religion and the Rise of Capitalism
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Religion and the Global Politics of Human Rights
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Religion and Ethics in a Globalizing World: Conflict, Dialogue, and Transformation - Removed
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Religion and the Great Exhibition of 1851
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Religion and Development: Conflict or Cooperation? - Removed
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Religion and Critical Psychology: Religious Experience in the Knowledge Economy
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.