Posted on 2017-11-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Jacky Colliss Harvey | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 157912996X |
Description: The brilliantly told, captivating history of red hair throughout the ages and across multiple disciplines, including science, religion, politics, feminism and sexuality, literature, and art The mere mention of red hair calls to mind vivid pictures. Stereotypes of redheaded women range from the funloving scatterbrain, like Lucille Ball, to the fiery-tempered vixen or the penitent prostitute (Mary Magdalene, for example, is almost always depicted as a redhead). Red-haired men are often associated with either the savage barbarian or the redheaded clown. But why is this so? Red: A Natural History of the Redhead is the first book to explore the history of red hair and red-headedness throughout the world. With an obsessive fascination that is as contagious as it is compelling, author Jacky Colliss Harvey begins her quest in prehistory and traces the redhead gene as it made its way out of Africa with the early human diaspora, only to emerge under Northern skies. She goes on to explore red hair in the ancient world (from the Tarim mummies in China to the Islamic kingdom of the Khazars) the prejudice manifested against red hair across medieval Europe red hair during the Renaissance as both an indicator of Jewishness during the Inquisition and the height of fashion in Protestant England, where it was made famous by the Henry VIII and Elizabeth I the modern age of art, and literature, and the first positive symbols of red hair in children's characters modern medicine and science and the genetic and chemical decoding of red hair and finally, red hair in contemporary culture, from advertising and exploitation to "gingerism" and the new movement against bullying. More than a book for redheads, Red is the exploration of evolution and gene mutation, as well as a compelling social and cultural study of how prejudice and misconceptions of "other" evolve across centuries and continents and are handed down through generations and from one culture to another.
Red: A History of the Redhead.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33646
- 2019-07-08%^(Satisfying) - Why You Should Read Red: A History of the Redhead by Jacky Colliss Harvey Online or Download [~PDF ~EPUB ~MOBI]
- 2018-07-31Red: A History of the Redhead
- 2017-04-09[PDF] Red Fortress: History and Illusion in the Kremlin - Removed
- 2020-01-07Good Time Girls of Colorado: A Red-Light History of the Centennial State
- 2018-02-02[PDF] A Short History of the Mughal Empire (I.B.Tauris Short Histories)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the Smile
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Syria: A History of the Last Hundred Years
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the English Reformation
- 2018-01-31[PDF] A Natural History of the Central Appalachians (Central Appalachian Natural History)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] A Short History of the U.S. Working Class: From Colonial Times to the Twenty-First Century (Revolutionary Studies)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Galveston - A History of the Island (Chisholm Trail Series, No. 18)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A Military History of the Modern Middle East
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Our Occulted History: Do the Global Elite Conceal Ancient Aliens? [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-24[PDF] An Oral History of the Portuguese Colonial War: Conscripted Generation (Palgrave Studies in Oral History) - Removed
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Towards a History of the Basque Language (Current Issues in Linguistic Theory)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Josephus and History of the Greco-Roman Period: Essays in Memory of Morton Smith (Studia Post-Biblica)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Vietnam: A History of the War
- 2018-01-14[PDF] A Global History of the Developing World
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.