Posted on 2017-11-08, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Barbara J. Keys | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 368 | ISBN: 0674724852 | ISBN13: 9780674724853 |
Description: The American commitment to international human rights emerged in the 1970s not as a logical outgrowth of American idealism but as a surprising response to national trauma, as Barbara Keys shows in this provocative history. Reclaiming American Virtue situates this novel enthusiasm as a reaction to the profound challenge of the Vietnam War and its tumultuous aftermath. Instead of looking inward for renewal, Americans on the right and the left alike looked outward for ways to restore America's moral leadership. Conservatives took up the language of Soviet dissidents to resuscitate a Cold War narrative that pitted a virtuous United States against the evils of communism. Liberals sought moral cleansing by dissociating the United States from foreign malefactors, spotlighting abuses such as torture in Chile, South Korea, and other right-wing allies. When Jimmy Carter in 1977 made human rights a central tenet of American foreign policy, his administration struggled to reconcile these conflicting visions. Yet liberals and conservatives both saw human rights as a way of moving from guilt to pride. Less a critique of American power than a rehabilitation of it, human rights functioned for Americans as a sleight of hand that occluded from view much of America's recent past and confined the lessons of Vietnam to narrow parameters. It would be a small step from world's judge to world's policeman, and American intervention in the name of human rights would be a cause both liberals and conservatives could embrace.
Reclaiming American Virtue: The Human Rights Revolution of the 1970s.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33237
- 2020-04-28Reclaiming American Virtue: The Human Rights Revolution of the 1970s
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Conservative Human Rights Revolution
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Conservative Human Rights Revolution: European Identity, Transnational Politics, and the Origins of the European Convention
- 2020-01-22The Conservative Human Rights Revolution: European Identity, Transnational Politics, and the Origins of the European Convention
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Reclaiming Israel's History: Roots, Rights, and the Struggle for Peace [Audiobook]
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Disabled people and European human rights: A review of the implications of the 1998 Human Rights Act for disabled children and adults in the UK
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Environmental Law Dimensions of Human Rights (Collected Courses of the Academy of European Law)
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Trade, Food Security, and Human Rights: The Rules for International Trade in Agricultural Products and the Evolving World Food Crisis
- 2017-11-01[PDF] Dignity, Mental Health and Human Rights: Coercion and the Law
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Domestic Politics and International Human Rights Tribunals: The Problem of Compliance (Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Environmental Law Dimensions of Human Rights (Collected Courses of the Academy of European Law)
- 2011-11-15Children and Transitional Justice: Truth-Telling, Accountability and Reconciliation (Human Rights Program Series)
- 2011-10-09Beyond Collusion
- 2011-09-20World Report 2011: Events of 2010 (Human Rights Watch World Report)
- 2011-08-04Children and Transitional Justice: Truth-Telling, Accountability and Reconciliation (Human Rights Program Series)
- 2011-07-27World Report 2011: Events of 2010 (Human Rights Watch World Report)
- 2011-07-20Beyond Collusion
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Balancing Liberty and Security: Human Rights, Human Wrongs (Crime Prevention and Security Management) - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Prohibition, Religious Freedom, and Human Rights: Regulating Traditional Drug Use
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.