Posted on 2017-12-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: John Derbyshire | Category: Mathematics | Language: English | Page: 448 | ISBN: 0309085497 | ISBN13: 9780309085496 |
Description: In August 1859 Bernhard Riemann, a little-known 32-year old mathematician, presented a paper to the Berlin Academy titled: "On the Number of Prime Numbers Less Than a Given Quantity." In the middle of that paper, Riemann made an incidental remark - a guess, a hypothesis. What he tossed out to the assembled mathematicians that day has proven to be almost cruelly compelling to countless scholars in the ensuing years. Today, after 150 years of careful research and exhaustive study, the question remains. Is the hypothesis true or false? Riemann's basic inquiry, the primary topic of his paper, concerned a straightforward but nevertheless important matter of arithmetic - defining a precise formula to track and identify the occurrence of prime numbers. But it is that incidental remark - the Riemann Hypothesis - that is the truly astonishing legacy of his 1859 paper. Because Riemann was able to see beyond the pattern of the primes to discern traces of something mysterious and mathematically elegant shrouded in the shadows - subtle variations in the distribution of those prime numbers. Brilliant for its clarity, astounding for its potential consequences, the Hypothesis took on enormous importance in mathematics. Indeed, the successful solution to this puzzle would herald a revolution in prime number theory. Proving or disproving it became the greatest challenge of the age. It has become clear that the Riemann Hypothesis, whose resolution seems to hang tantalizingly just beyond our grasp, holds the key to a variety of scientific and mathematical investigations.The making and breaking of modern codes, which depend on the properties of the prime numbers, have roots in the Hypothesis. In a series of extraordinary developments during the 1970s, it emerged that even the physics of the atomic nucleus is connected in ways not yet fully understood to this strange conundrum. Hunting down the solution to the Riemann Hypothesis has become an obsession for many - the veritable "great white whale" of mathematical research. Yet despite determined efforts by generations of mathematicians, the Riemann Hypothesis defies resolution.Alternating passages of extraordinarily lucid mathematical exposition with chapters of elegantly composed biography and history, "Prime Obsession" is a fascinating and fluent account of an epic mathematical mystery that continues to challenge and excite the world. Posited a century and a half ago, the Riemann Hypothesis is an intellectual feast for the cognoscenti and the curious alike. Not just a story of numbers and calculations, "Prime Obsession" is the engrossing tale of a relentless hunt for an elusive proof - and those who have been consumed by it.
Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34679
- 2017-01-19[PDF] Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
- 2012-11-13Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics (Repost)
- 2011-11-20Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics free ebook download
- 2011-11-21Prime Obsession: Berhhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
- 2019-07-15$(Top) - Why You Should Read Big Top Burning: The True Story of an Arsonist, a Missing Girl, and The Greatest Show On Earth by Laura A. Woollett Online or Download [PDF MOBI EPUB]
- 2019-07-10&*(Pleasing) - Why You Should Read Birding Without Borders: An Obsession, a Quest, and the Biggest Year in the World by Noah Strycker Online or Download [`EPUB `MOBI `PDF]
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The King's Revenge: Charles II and the Greatest Manhunt in British History
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Fight for the Four Freedoms: What Made FDR and the Greatest Generation Truly Great
- 2017-12-10[PDF] A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy - Removed
- 2017-12-06[PDF] The Calculus Wars: Newton, Leibniz, and the Greatest Mathematical Clash of All Time
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Removed
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Vintage Game Consoles: An Inside Look at Apple, Atari, Commodore, Nintendo, and the Greatest Gaming Platforms of All Time
- 2017-10-12[PDF] The Calculus Wars: Newton, Leibniz, and the Greatest Mathematical Clash of All Time,1st Edition
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Operation Long Jump: Stalin, Roosevelt, Churchill, and the Greatest Assassination Plot in History
- 2017-04-14[PDF] Secret Behind Communism The Ethnic Origins of the Russian Revolution and the Greatest Holocaust the History of Mankind [Russian]
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Vintage Game Consoles: An Inside Look at Apple, Atari, Commodore, Nintendo, and the Greatest Gaming Platforms of All Time
- 2017-02-07[PDF] The King's Revenge: Charles II and the Greatest Manhunt in British History
- 2017-02-06[PDF] A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy - Removed
- 2017-01-17[PDF] Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.