Posted on 2017-11-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Michael Neiberg | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 0465075258 | ISBN13: 9780465075256 |
Description: After Germanyâ€™s defeat in World War II, Europe lay in tatters. Millions of refugees were dispersed across the continent. Food and fuel were scarce. Britain was bankrupt, while Germany had been reduced to rubble. In July of 1945, Harry Truman, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin gathered in a quiet suburb of Berlin to negotiate a lasting peace: a peace that would finally put an end to the conflagration that had started in 1914, a peace under which Europe could be rebuilt. The award-winning historian Michael Neiberg brings the turbulent Potsdam conference to life, vividly capturing the delegatesâ€™ personalities: Truman, trying to escape from the shadow of Franklin Roosevelt, who had died only months before Churchill, bombastic and seemingly out of touch Stalin, cunning and meticulous. For the first week, negotiations progressed relatively smoothly. But when the delegates took a recess for the British elections, Churchill was replacedâ€”both as prime minster and as Britainâ€™s representative at the conferenceâ€”in an unforeseen upset by Clement Attlee, a man Churchill disparagingly described as â€œa sheep in sheepâ€™s clothing.â€ When the conference reconvened, the power dynamic had shifted dramatically, and the delegates struggled to find a new balance. Stalin took advantage of his strong position to demand control of Eastern Europe as recompense for the suffering experienced by the Soviet people and armies. The final resolutions of the Potsdam Conference, notably the division of Germany and the Soviet annexation of Poland, reflected the uneasy geopolitical equilibrium between East and West that would come to dominate the twentieth century. As Neiberg expertly shows, the delegates arrived at Potsdam determined to learn from the mistakes their predecessors made in the Treaty of Versailles. But, riven by tensions and dramatic debates over how to end the most recent war, they only dimly understood that their discussions of peace were giving birth to a new global conflict.
Potsdam: The End of World War II and the Remaking of Europe.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33803
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Potsdam: The End of World War II and the Remaking of Europe [Audiobook]
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Uncle Sam Wants You: World War I and the Making of the Modern American Citizen
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Uncle Sam Wants You: World War I and the Making of the Modern American Citizen
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Potsdam Conference: The History of the Negotiations Between the Allies Near the End of World War II
- 2012-06-07The German Army in World War II (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-06-07The Reich Intruders: Dramatic RAF Medium Bomber Raids Over Europe in World War Two
- 2012-06-03The Spicer Web: The Romance of a Flying-Boat Flight in the First World War
- 2012-05-22Aircraft of World War II (The Aviation Factfile)
- 2012-05-21The Royal Air Force of World War Two In Colour
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2012-05-19German Helmets Of The Second World War Vol.2
- 2012-05-16The Horse Soldier 1776-1943 Vol.IV: World War I, the Peacetime Army, World War II 1917-1943
- 2012-05-12Battle Colors Volume III: Insignia and Tactical Markings Of The Ninth Air Force In World War Two
- 2012-05-11Panzers In The Balkans And Italy Quarrie (World War 2 Photo Album #19)
- 2011-12-04No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military) - No Greater Ally, The Untold Story, World War, Osprey General Military
- 2011-11-17No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The End of Tsarist Russia: The March to World War I and Revolution
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Wings Over Somerset: Aircraft Crashes since the End of World War II
- 2017-11-22[PDF] If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.