Posted on 2017-12-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: John David Lewis | Publisher: Princeton University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 368 | ISBN: 0691135185 | ISBN13: 9780691135182 |
Description: The goal of war is to defeat the enemy's will to fight. But how this can be accomplished is a thorny issue. Nothing Less than Victory provocatively shows that aggressive, strategic military offenses can win wars and establish lasting peace, while defensive maneuvers have often led to prolonged carnage, indecision, and stalemate. Taking an ambitious and sweeping look at six major wars, from antiquity to World War II, John David Lewis shows how victorious military commanders have achieved long-term peace by identifying the core of the enemy's ideological, political, and social support for a war, fiercely striking at this objective, and demanding that the enemy acknowledges its defeat. Lewis examines the Greco-Persian and Theban wars, the Second Punic War, Aurelian's wars to reunify Rome, the American Civil War, and the Second World War. He considers successful examples of overwhelming force, such as the Greek mutilation of Xerxes' army and navy, the Theban-led invasion of the Spartan homeland, and Hannibal's attack against Italy as well as failed tactics of defense, including Fabius's policy of delay, McClellan's retreat from Richmond, and Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler. Lewis shows that a war's endurance rests in each side's reasoning, moral purpose, and commitment to fight, and why an effectively aimed, well-planned, and quickly executed offense can end a conflict and create the conditions needed for long-term peace. Recognizing the human motivations behind military conflicts, Nothing Less than Victory makes a powerful case for offensive actions in pursuit of peace.
Nothing Less than Victory: Decisive Wars and the Lessons of History.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34246
- 2013-03-20Nothing Less than Victory: Decisive Wars and the Lessons of History
- 2011-09-09Nothing Less than Victory: Decisive Wars and the Lessons of History
- 2017-11-06[PDF] No Less Than Victory: A Novel of World War II
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Truth Stranger Than Fiction: Race, Realism, and the U.S. Literary Market Place - Removed
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Imperial Endgame: Britain's Dirty Wars and the End of Empire (Britain and the World) - Removed
- 2017-11-12[PDF] More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Imperial Endgame: Britain's Dirty Wars and the End of Empire (Britain and the World)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Depth of Field: Stanley Kubrick, Film, and the Uses of History
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Depth of Field: Stanley Kubrick, Film, and the Uses of History
- 2021-08-20A Duet of Regency Sex Comedies (Nothing Less Than a Duke; The Mischievous Virgin)
- 2021-03-07Nothing Less Than War: A New History of America's Entry into World War I [Audiobook]
- 2020-06-03How to Live on Less than Most People Do (and Enjoy Doing It)
- 2020-05-09How to Live on Less than Most People Do (and Enjoy Doing It)
- 2020-01-07The Keto Diet Cookbook For Beginners: Less Than 30 Minutes Quick and Easy Keto Diet Recipes for Weight Loss. A Low-Carb High-Fat Healthy Lifestyle Approach.
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Dodger: The Extraordinary Story Of Churchill's American Cousin, Two World Wars, And The Great Escape
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Nothing Less (The Landon series)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] World Wars and the Modern Age
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Global Rivalries: Standards Wars and the Transnational Cotton Trade
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Total Wars and the Making of Modern Ukraine, 1914-1954
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.