Posted on 2017-10-22, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Wendy S. Walters | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 152 | ISBN: 1941411045 | ISBN13: 9781941411049 |
Description: I have never been particularly interested in slavery, perhaps because it is such an obvious fact of my family's history. The fact that I am descended from slaves is hard to acknowledge on a day-to-day basis, because slavery does not fit with my self-image. Perhaps this is because I am pretty certain I would not have survived it. In the manner of Calvino's Invisible Cities, Wendy Walters deftly explores the psyches of cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Manhattan, and Portsmouth. In "Cleveland," she interviews an African-American playwright who draws great reviews, but can't muster an audience. An on-air telephone chat between a DJ and his listeners drives a discussion of race and nutrition in "Chicago Radio." In "Manhattanville" the author, out for a walk with her biracial son, is mistaken for his nanny. There's even a fable, imagining a black takeover of Norway. All of these essays explore societal questionsâ€”how eras of immense growth can leave us unable to prosper from that growth, how places intended for safety become fraught with danger, and how race and gender bias threaten our communities. As John D'Agata notes: "What probing, lively, ridiculously smart, gorgeously surprising essays." Wendy S. Walters is the author of two books of poems, Troy, Michigan and Longer I Wait, More You Love Me. Her work has appeared in Harper's, Bookforum, the Iowa Review, and many other publications. She is associate professor of creative writing at The New School University in New York.
Multiply/Divide: On the American Real and Surreal.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32641
- 2020-07-09Multiply/Divide: On the American Real and Surreal
- 2012-01-11Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2012-01-08Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2011-05-21The American Heritage Book of English Usage: A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English
- 2019-07-18^(Wonderful) - Why You Should Read Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life by William Deresiewicz Online or Download [PDF, EPUB, MOBI]
- 2018-02-02[PDF] A Companion to the Gilded Age and Progressive Era (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The American Union and the Problem of Neighborhood: The United States and the Collapse of the Spanish Empire, 1783-1829 [Spanish]
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Lincoln Unbound: How an Ambitious Young Railsplitter Saved the American Dream and How We Can Do It Again
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Kentucky by Design: The Decorative Arts and American Culture
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Seeking Soulmate: Ditch the Dating Game and Find Real Connection
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Split Screen Nation: Moving Images of the American West and South
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Cash in on the Coming Real Estate Crash: How to Protect Yourself From Losses Now, and Turn a Profit After the Bubble Bursts
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Hamilton's Curse: How Jefferson's Arch Enemy Betrayed the American Revolution and What It Means for Americans Today - Removed
- 2018-01-05[PDF] State Out of the Union Arizona and the Final Showdown Over the American Dream
- 2018-01-03[PDF] An Army of Phantoms: American Movies and the Making of the Cold War
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Like a Thunderbolt: The Lafayette Escadrille and the Advent of American Pursuit in World War I
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The AEF Way of War: The American Army and Combat in World War I
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Sick from Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction
- 2017-12-25[PDF] War, the American State, and Politics since 1898
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.