Posted on 2017-12-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Steven Vanderputten | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 264 | ISBN: 080145171X | ISBN13: 9780801451713 |
Description: The history of monastic institutions in the Middle Ages may at first appear remarkably uniform and predictable. Medieval commentators and modern scholars have observed how monasteries of the tenth to early twelfth centuries experienced long periods of stasis alternating with bursts of rapid development known as reforms. Charismatic leaders by sheer force of will, and by assiduously recruiting the support of the ecclesiastical and lay elites, pushed monasticism forward toward reform, remediating the inevitable decline of discipline and government in these institutions. A lack of concrete information on what happened at individual monasteries is not regarded as a significant problem, as long as there is the possibility to reconstruct the reformers' 'program.'â€™ While this general picture makes for a compelling narrative, it doesnâ€™t necessarily hold up when one looks closely at the history of specific institutions. In Monastic Reform as Process, Steven Vanderputten puts the history of monastic reform to the test by examining the evidence from seven monasteries in Flanders, one of the wealthiest principalities of northwestern Europe, between 900 and 1100. He finds that the reform of a monastery should be studied not as an "exogenous shock" but as an intentional blending of reformist ideals with existing structures and traditions. He also shows that reformist government was cumulative in nature, and many of the individual achievements and initiatives of reformist abbots were only possible because they built upon previous achievements. Rather than looking at reforms as "flashpoint events," we need to view them as processes worthy of study in their own right. Deeply researched and carefully argued, Monastic Reform as Process will be essential reading for scholars working on the history of monasteries more broadly as well as those studying the phenomenon of reform throughout history.
Monastic Reform as Process: Realities and Representations in Medieval Flanders, 900-1100.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34887
- 2020-02-18Monastic Reform as Process: Realities and Representations in Medieval Flanders, 900–1100
- 2014-04-15Monastic Reform as Process: Realities and Representations in Medieval Flanders, 900-1100
- 2014-04-14Monastic Reform as Process: Realities and Representations in Medieval Flanders, 900-1100
- 2020-10-22High and Mighty Queens of Early Modern England: Realities and Representations
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Problem Solving for Process Operators and Specialists (Wiley-AIChE)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Salesforce.com Lightning Process Builder and Visual Workflow: A Practical Guide to Model-Driven Development on the Force.com Platform - Removed
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Guidelines for Safe Process Operations and Maintenance
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Performance Assessment for Process Monitoring and Fault Detection Methods - Removed
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Arid Zone Geomorphology: Process, Form and Change in Drylands
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Step-Growth Polymerization Process Modeling and Product Design
- 2017-11-30[PDF] The Classical Groups: Their Invariants and Representations (Princeton Landmarks in Mathematics and Physics)
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Analytical Troubleshooting of Process Machinery and Pressure Vessels: Including Real-World Case Studies
- 2017-10-25[PDF] The Reform of Time: Magic and Modernity
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Finite Reductive Groups: Related Structures and Representations: Proceedings of an International Conference held in Luminy, France (Progress in Mathematics) - Removed
- 2017-04-10[PDF] Managing Flexibility: People, Process, Technology and Business (Flexible Systems Management) - Removed
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Donors of Longmen: Faith, Politics, and Patronage in Medieval Chinese Buddhist Sculpture
- 2017-10-07[PDF] The Oxford Handbook of Women and Gender in Medieval Europe (Oxford Handbooks)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Oxford Handbook of Women and Gender in Medieval Europe (Oxford Handbooks)
- 2019-12-29Migration and Crime: Realities and Media Representations
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.