[PDF] Mapping and Charting in Early Modern England and France: Power, Patronage, and Production (Toposophia: Sustainability, Dwelling, Design)
Posted on 2017-10-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christine Petto | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 250 | ISBN: 073917536X | ISBN13: 9780739175361 |
Description: Mapping and Charting for the Lion and the Lily: Map and Atlas Production in Early Modern England and France is a comparative study of the production and role of maps, charts, and atlases in early modern England and France, with a particular focus on Paris, the cartographic center of production from the late seventeenth century to the late eighteenth century, and London, which began to emerge (in the late eighteenth century) to eclipse the once favored Bourbon center. The themes that carry through the work address the role of government in map and chart making. In France, in particular, it is the importance of the centralized government and its support for geographic works and their makers through a broad and deep institutional infrastructure. Prior to the late eighteenth century in England, there was no central controlling agency or institution for map, chart, or atlas production, and any official power was imposed through the market rather than through the establishment of institutions. There was no centralized support for the cartographic enterprise and any effort by the crown was often challenged by the power of Parliament which saw little value in fostering or supporting scholar-geographers or a national survey. This book begins with an investigation of the imagery of power on map and atlas frontispieces from the late sixteenth century to the seventeenth century. In the succeeding chapters the focus moves from county and regional mapping efforts in England and France to the â€œpaper warsâ€ over encroachment in their respective colonial interests. The final study looks at charting efforts and highlights the role of government support and the commercial trade in the development of maritime charts not only for the home waters of the English Channel, but the distant and dangerous seas of the East Indies.
Mapping and Charting in Early Modern England and France: Power, Patronage, and Production (Toposophia: Sustainability, Dwelling, Design).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32614
- 2020-04-29Mapping and Charting in Early Modern England and France: Power, Patronage, and Production (Toposophia: Sustainability, Dwelling, Design)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Memories of War in Early Modern England: Armor and Militant Nostalgia in Marlowe, Sidney, and Shakespeare (Early Modern Cultural Studies) - Removed
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Representing the Plague in Early Modern England (Routledge Studies in Renaissance Literature and Culture)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Representing the Plague in Early Modern England (Routledge Studies in Renaissance Literature and Culture)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Royal Touch in Early Modern England (Royal Historical Society Studies in History New Series)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] The Cartographic Imagination in Early Modern England
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Law and Conscience: Catholicism in Early Modern England, 1570-1625 (Catholic Christendom, 1300-1700)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Women, Food Exchange, and Governance in Early Modern England (Early Modern Literature in History) - Removed
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Becoming Criminal: Transversal Performance and Cultural Dissidence in Early Modern England
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Early Modern England and Islamic Worlds (Early Modern Cultural Studies) - Removed
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Metropolitan Tragedy: Genre, Justice, and the City in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-30[PDF] 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Order and Disorder in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Culture of Giving: Informal Support and Gift-Exchange in Early Modern England (Cambridge Social and Cultural Histories)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Challenges of Orpheus: Lyric Poetry and Early Modern England
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Literature and Favoritism in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Rhetorics of Bodily Disease and Health in Medieval and Early Modern England (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Eucharist and the Poetic Imagination in Early Modern England (Ideas in Context)
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Performances of the Sacred in Late Medieval and Early Modern England (Internationale Forschungen zur Allgemeinen und Vergleichenden Literaturwissenschaft 86)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.