Posted on 2017-12-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Larry May | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 0199682798 | ISBN13: 9780199682799 |
Description: Thomas Hobbes wrote extensively about law and was strongly influenced by developments and debates among lawyers of his day. And Hobbes is considered by many commentators to be one of the first legal positivists. Yet there is no book in English that focuses on Hobbes's legal philosophy. Indeed, Hobbes's own book length treatment of law, A Dialogue Between a Philosopher and a Student of the Common Laws of England, has also not received much commentary over the centuries. Larry May seeks to fill the gap in the literature by addressing Hobbes's legal philosophy directly, and comparing Leviathan to the Dialogue, as he offers a new interpretation of Hobbes's views about the connections among law, politics, and morality. May argues that Hobbes is much more amenable to moral, and even legal, limits on the law indeed closer to Lon Fuller than to today's legal positivists than he is often portrayed. He shows that Hobbes's views can provide a solid grounding for the rules of war and international relations generally, contrary to the near universal belief that Hobbes is the bete noir of international law. To support these views, May holds that Hobbes places greater weight on equity than on justice, and that understanding the role of equity is the key to his legal philosophy. Equity also is the moral concept that provides restrictions on what a sovereign can legitimately do, and if violated is the kind of limitation on sovereignty that could open the door for possible international institutions.
Limiting Leviathan: Hobbes on Law and International Affairs.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34708
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Limiting Leviathan: Hobbes on Law and International Affairs
- 2018-01-28[PDF] International Law and International Relations (Themes in International Relations) - Removed
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Refuge from Inhumanity? War Refugees and International Humanitarian Law (International Refugee Law)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] A Companion to European Union Law and International Law
- 2017-12-29[PDF] Chinese Tax Law and International Treaties - Removed
- 2017-12-27[PDF] International Law and International Relations: An International Organization Reader
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Liberal Leviathan: The Origins, Crisis, and Transformation of the American World Order (Princeton Studies in International History and Politics)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Synergies in Minority Protection: European and International Law Perspectives
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Aggression against Ukraine: Territory, Responsibility, and International Law (American Foreign Policy in the 21st Century) - Removed
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Legal Issues on Climate Change and International Trade Law - Removed
- 2017-10-28[PDF] The Break-up of Yugoslavia and International Law (Routledge Studies in International Law)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Interdisciplinary Perspectives on International Law and International Relations: The State of the Art
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Comparative Corporate Governance: A Functional and International Analysis (International Corporate Law and Financial Market Regulation)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] The Politics of International Law and International Justice
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Islamic Law and International Human Rights Law
- 2017-02-13[PDF] The Break-up of Yugoslavia and International Law (Routledge Studies in International Law)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Islamic Law and International Human Rights Law
- 2020-03-20Human Rights and Islam: An Introduction to Key Debates Between Islamic Law and International Human Rights Law (Elgar Studies in Human Rights)
- 2018-08-09Widening Horizons The Influence of Comparative Law and International Law on Domestic Law
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.