Posted on 2018-01-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Robert Schmuhl | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 232 | ISBN: 0190224282 | ISBN13: 9780190224288 |
Description: In their long struggle for independence from British rule, Irish republicans had long looked west for help, and with reason. The Irish-American population in the United States was larger than the population of Ireland itself, and the bond between the two cultures was visceral. Irish exiles living in America provided financial support-and often much more than that-but also the inspiration of example, proof that a life independent of England was achievable. Yet the moment of crisis-"terrible beauty," as William Butler Yeats put it-came in the armed insurrection during Easter week 1916. Ireland's "exiled children in America" were acknowledged in the Proclamation announcing "the Provisional Government of the Irish Republic," a document which circulated in Dublin on the first day of the Rising. The United States was the only country singled out for offering Ireland help. Yet the moment of the uprising was one of war in Europe, and it was becoming clear that America would join in the alliance with France and Britain against Germany. For many Irish-Americans, the choice of loyalty to American policy or the Home Rule cause was deeply divisive. Based on original archival research, Ireland's Exiled Children brings into bold relief four key figures in the Irish-American connection at this fatal juncture: the unrepentant Fenian radical John Devoy, the driving force among the Irish exiles in America the American poet and journalist Joyce Kilmer, whose writings on the Rising shaped public opinion and guided public sympathy President Woodrow Wilson, descended from Ulster Protestants, whose antipathy to Irish independence matched that to British imperialism and the only leader of the Rising not executed by the British-possibly because of his having been born in Americaamon de Valera. Each in his way contributed to America's support of and response to the Rising, informing the larger narrative and broadly reflecting reactions to the event and its bitter aftermath. Engaging and absorbing, Schmuhl's book captures through these figures the complexities of American politics, Irish-Americanism, and Anglo-American relations in the war and post-war period, illuminating a key part of the story of the Rising and its hold on the imagination.
Ireland's Exiled Children: America and the Easter Rising.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35628
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Ireland's Exiled Children: America and the Easter Rising
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Job Creation in Latin America and the Caribbean: Recent Trends and Policy Challenges (Latin American Development Forum) - Removed
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment, Second Edition (Yale Nota Bene)
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Higher Education Exchange between America and the Middle East in the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Neglected Tropical Diseases - Latin America and the Caribbean - Removed
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment, Second Edition (Yale Nota Bene)
- 2012-02-18Food Marketing to Children and Youth: Threat or Opportunity? - Committee On Food Marketing And The Diets Of Children And Youth
- 2012-02-12Food Marketing to Children and Youth: Threat or Opportunity? - Committee On Food Marketing And The Diets Of Children And Youth
- 2019-07-08$(Top) - Why You Should Read Untamed: The Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island by Will Harlan Online or Download [PDF MOBI EPUB]
- 2019-07-08%(Recommended) - Why You Should Read The Deluge: The Great War, America and the Remaking of the Global Order, 1916-1931 by Adam Tooze Online or Download [MOBI EPUB PDF]
- 2018-02-26Higher Education Exchange between America and the Middle East in the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] An Integrated Systems Model for Preventing Child Sexual Abuse: Perspectives from Latin America and the Caribbean - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Harbinger of Modernity: Marcos Aguinis and the Democratization of Argentina (Jewish Latin America)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Achieving Effective Social Protection for All in Latin America and the Caribbean: From Right to Reality (Directions in Development)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Impact Evaluation of Small and Medium Enterprise Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Japan Restored: How Japan Can Reinvent Itself and Why This Is Important for America and the World
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The CIA as Organized Crime: How Illegal Operations Corrupt America and the World
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Onward Muslim Soldiers: How Jihad Still Threatens America and the West
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Compassion, Inc.: How Corporate America Blurs the Line between What We Buy, Who We Are, and Those We Help
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.