[PDF] Hermeneutics, Politics, and the History of Religions: The Contested Legacies of Joachim Wach and Mircea Eliade
Posted on 2018-01-18, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christian K. Wedemeyer, Wendy Doniger | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 368 | ISBN: 019539433X | ISBN13: 9780195394337 |
Description: This volume comprises papers presented at a conference marking the 50th anniversary of Joachim Wach's death, and the centennial of Mircea Eliade's birth. Its purpose is to reconsider both the problematic, separate legacies of these two major twentieth-century historians of religions, and the bearing of these two legacies upon each other. Shortly after Wach's death in 1955, Eliade succeeded him as the premiere historian of religions at the University of Chicago. As a result, the two have been associated with each other in many people's minds as the successive leaders of the so-called "Chicago School" in the history of religions. In fact, as this volume makes clear, there never was a monolithic Chicago School. Although Wach reportedly referred to Eliade as the most astute historian of religions of the day the two never met, and their approaches to the study of religions differed significantly. Several dominant issues run through the essays collected here: the relationship between the two men's writings and their lives, and in Eliade's case, the relationship between his political commitments and his writings in fiction, history of religions, and autobiography. Both men's contributions to the field continue to provoke controversy and debate, and this volume sheds new light on these controversies and what they reveal about these two `scholars' legacies.
Hermeneutics, Politics, and the History of Religions: The Contested Legacies of Joachim Wach and Mircea Eliade.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35432
- 2011-10-02Hermeneutics, Politics, and the History of Religions: The Contested Legacies of Joachim Wach and Mircea Eliade free ebook download
- 2010-03-18Hermeneutics, Politics, and the History of Religions: The Contested Legacies of Joachim Wach and Mircea Eliade
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Popular Politics and the English Reformation (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Religion, Politics and Thomas Hobbes (International Archives of the History of Ideas, Vol. 195) - Removed
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Plato, Politics and a Practical Utopia,: Social Constructivism and Civic Planning in the 'Laws'
- 2018-01-30[PDF] American Politics and the Environment, Second Edition
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Women, Politics, and Democracy in Latin America (Crossing Boundaries of Gender and Politics in the Global South) - Removed
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Bio-Politics and the Emergence of Modern Architecture (FORuM Project Publications) (Princeton Architectural Press)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Bodies, Politics, and African Healing: The Matter of Maladies in Tanzania
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Religion, Politics and Gender in Indonesia: Disputing the Muslim Body (Routledge Research on Gender in Asia Series)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Business Politics and the State in Twentieth-Century Latin America
- 2017-12-28[PDF] International Politics and Civil Rights Policies in the United States, 1941-1960
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Teaching Politics Beyond the Book: Film, Texts, and New Media in the Classroom
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Dialectics, Politics, and the Contemporary Value of Hegel's Practical Philosophy (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Philosophy)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Coalition Politics and Economic Development: Credibility and the Strength of Weak Governments
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Faith, Politics, and Power: The Politics of Faith-Based Initiatives
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Party Politics and Decentralization in Japan and France: When the Opposition Governs (Nissan Institute/Routledge Japanese Studies)
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Education, Politics and Religion: Reconciling the Civil and the Sacred in Education
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Constitutional Politics in the Middle East: With Special Reference to Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan (Onati International Series in Law and Society)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.