Posted on 2018-01-30, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Betty Bryant | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 220 | ISBN: 0813129672 | ISBN13: 9780813129679 |
Description: "I was born at the tail end of a unique and delightful era and raised on one of the last showboats to struggle for survival against the devastating crunch of progress. . . . Our showboat's express purpose was carrying entertainment to hundreds of thousands of river-bottom farmers along our water-bordered frontier." from the book Betty Bryant was a river rat. The Floating Theater was her home, and the river was her back yard. While other children were learning to walk, she was learning to swim. She knew how to set a trotline, gig a frog, catch a crawdad, and strip the mud vein out of a carp by the time she was four. In this colorful memoir, Betty shares her own piece of Americana, the small, family-owned showboat of the early twentieth century. Billy Bryant's Showboat plied the inland waterways of the Ohio River watershed from before the First World War until 1942, bringing a blend of melodrama and vaudeville, laughter and therapeutic tears, into the lives of isolated people in rural communities along the way. Betty made her first professional appearance at the age of six weeks when she played a baby in "Uncle Tom's Cabin." In her twenty years of touring, she acted, danced, and grew up in the tradition of "family entertainment, by families, for families." Here Comes the Showboat! is told with the ageless wonder of a child who loved the showboat and the eager audiences its uniquely American entertainment touched. It is a treasure trove of humorous anecdotes, touching remembrances, and delightful photographs of Betty, the three generations who ran the family showboat, miners, musselers, shantyboaters, farmers, merchants, and actors whose lives intersected along the Ohio River.
Here Comes The Showboat! (Ohio River Valley Series).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35805
- 2018-05-08The Kentucky River (The Ohio River Valley Series)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Here Comes the...Trouble! (Frankly, Frannie)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Here Comes the Sun: Architecture and Public Space in European Culture
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Here Comes the Night: The Dark Soul of Bert Berns and the Dirty Business of Rhythm and Blues
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Here Comes the Bride
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Here Comes the Night
- 2009-10-15Jewish Communities on the Ohio River: A History (Ohio River Valley Series)
- 2009-05-11On Jordan's Banks: Emancipation and Its Aftermath in the Ohio River Valley (Ohio River Valley Series)
- 2019-08-06 @(Precious) - Why You Should Read Here Comes the Sun by Nicole Y. Dennis-Benn Online or Download [~MOBI ~EPUB ~PDF]
- 2018-12-13Indigenous Prosperity and American Conquest Indian Women of the Ohio River Valley, 1690-1792
- 2018-10-14Indigenous Prosperity and American Conquest Indian Women of the Ohio River Valley, 1690-1792
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Trammel's Trace: The First Road to Texas from the North (Red River Valley Books, sponsored by Texas A&M University-Texarkana)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Harlequin KISS August 2014 Bundle: The Heat of the Night/Dare She Kiss & Tell?/Here Comes the Bridesmaid/How to Bag a Billionaire
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Here Comes Exterminator!: The Longshot Horse, the Great War, and the Making of an American Hero - Removed
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Harlequin KISS August 2014 Bundle: The Heat of the Night/Dare She Kiss & Tell?/Here Comes the Bridesmaid/How to Bag a Billionaire
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Twelve Millennia: Archaeology of the Upper Mississippi River Valley (Bur Oak Book)
- 2013-05-07Beatles-Here Comes the Sun - Tablature for Guitar Lessons.pdf
- 2012-01-27A Magyar Kiralyi Folyamerok es Fegyverzetuk 1920-1945 (The Royal Hungarian River Force and Weaponry 1920-1945)
- 2009-09-21Darrel E. Bigham - On Jordan's Banks: Emancipation and Its Aftermath in the Ohio River Valley
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.