Posted on 2017-12-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Joan Dayan | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 362 | ISBN: 0520213688 | ISBN13: 9780520213685 |
Description: In Haiti, History, and the Gods, Joan Dayan charts the cultural imagination of Haiti not only by reconstructing the island's history but by highlighting ambiguities and complexities that have been ignored. She investigates the confrontational space in which Haiti is created and recreated in fiction and fact, text and ritual, discourse and practice. Dayan's ambitious project is a research tour de force that gives human dimensions to this eighteenth-century French colony and provides a template for understanding the Haiti of today. In examining the complex social fabric of French Saint-Domingue, which in 1804 became Haiti, Dayan uncovers a silenced, submerged past. Instead of relying on familiar sources to reconstruct Haitian history, she uses a startling diversity of voices that have previously been unheard. Many of the materials recovered here overlooked or repressed historical texts, legal documents, religious works, secret memoirs, letters, and literary fictions have never been translated into English. Others, such as Marie Vieux Chauvet's radical novel of vodou, Fonds des Negres, are seldom used as historical sources. Dayan also argues provocatively for the consideration of both vodou rituals and narrative fiction as repositories of history. Her scholarship is enriched by the insights she has gleaned from conversations and experiences during her many trips to Haiti over the past twenty years. Taken together, the material presented in Haiti, History, and the Gods not only restores a lost chapter of Haitian history but suggests necessary revisions to the accepted histories of the New World.
Haiti, History, and the Gods.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33992
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Climate, History and the Modern World
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Art, History and the Historiography of Judaism in Roman Antiquity
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Heidegger, History and the Holocaust (Bloomsbury Studies in Continental Philos)
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Textual History and the Reception of Scripture in Early Christianity: Textgeschichte und Schriftrezeption im fruhen Christentum (Septuagint and ... Literature Septuagint and Cognate Studie)
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Big History and the Future of Humanity, 2nd Edition
- 2017-02-13[PDF] Climate, History and the Modern World
- 2019-08-06%^(Satisfying) - Why You Should Read The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan Online or Download [~PDF ~EPUB ~MOBI]
- 2019-07-08@(Precious) - Why You Should Read Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man by Lynn Vincent Online or Download [~MOBI ~EPUB ~PDF]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Socrates Among the Corybantes: Being, Reality, and the Gods (Dunquin Series, 25)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] American Writers and the Approach of World War II, 1935-1941: A Literary History
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Not So Plain as Black and White: Afro-German Culture and History, 1890-2000 (Rochester Studies in African History and the Diaspora)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Philosophy, History, and Tyranny: Reexamining the Debate Between Leo Strauss and Alexandre Kojeve (Suny Series in the Thought and Legacy of Leo Strauss)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Surgeons, Smallpox, and the Poor: A History of Medicine and Social Conditions in Nova Scotia, 1749-1799
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Benjamin Constant and the Birth of French Liberalism (Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History) - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Mathematical Practitioners and the Transformation of Natural Knowledge in Early Modern Europe (Studies in History and Philosophy of Science) - Removed
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Mister Pulitzer and the Spider: Modern News from Realism to the Digital (History of Communication)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Magnus Hirschfeld and the Quest for Sexual Freedom: A History of the First International Sexual Freedom Movement (Critical Studies in Gender, Sexuality, and Culture) - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Rosa Luxemburg: A Permanent Challenge for Political Economy: On the History and the Present of Luxemburg's 'Accumulation of Capital' (Luxemburg International Studies in Political Economy) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.