Posted on 2018-02-01, by luongquocchinh.
Author: A. J. S. Spawforth | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 327 | ISBN: 1107012112 | ISBN13: 9781107012110 |
Description: This book examines the impact of the Roman cultural revolution under Augustus on the Roman province of Greece. It argues that the transformation of Roman Greece into a classicizing 'museum' was a specific response of the provincial Greek elites to the cultural politics of the Roman imperial monarchy. Against a background of Roman debates about Greek culture and Roman decadence, Augustus promoted the ideal of a Roman debt to a 'classical' Greece rooted in Europe and morally opposed to a stereotyped Asia. In Greece the regime signalled its admiration for Athens, Sparta, Olympia and Plataea as symbols of these past Greek glories. Cued by the Augustan monarchy, provincial-Greek notables expressed their Roman orientation by competitive cultural work (revival of ritual restoration of buildings) aimed at further emphasising Greece's 'classical' legacy. Reprised by Hadrian, the Augustan construction of 'classical' Greece helped to promote the archaism typifying Greek culture under the principate.
Greece and the Augustan Cultural Revolution (Greek Culture in the Roman World).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35885
- 2012-02-17Greece and the Augustan Cultural Revolution (Greek Culture in the Roman World)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Mycenaean Greece and the Aegean World: Palace and Province in the Late Bronze Age
- 2017-04-12[PDF] The Oxford History of the Classical World: Greece and the Hellenistic World
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Oxford History of the Classical World: Greece and the Hellenistic World
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Shakespeare and the Natural World
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Archaeology and the Capitalist World System: A Study from Russian America (Contributions To Global Historical Archaeology) [Russian] - Removed
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Monumentality and the Roman Empire: Architecture in the Antonine Age
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Germany and the Second World War: Volume 6 Part 2: The Global War
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Phenomenology and the Social World: The Philosophy of Merleau-Ponty and its Relation to the Social Sciences
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Globalizations and the Ancient World
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Mathematics and the Real World: The Remarkable Role of Evolution in the Making of Mathematics
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Goering and the Luftwaffe (World at War)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Adrenaline and the Inner World: An Introduction to Scientific Integrative Medicine
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Germany and the Second World War - Vol. IX II - German Wartime Society 1939-1945
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Marxism and the Muslim World
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Emilie and the Hollow World
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Russia and the New World Disorder
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Hippolytus and the Roman Church in the Third Century: Communities in Tension Before the Emergence of a Monarch-Bishop (Supplements to Vigiliae Chris)
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Globalisation and the Third World
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.