Posted on 2018-01-20, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Robin Boon Peng Low | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 192 | ISBN: 981320057X | ISBN13: 9789813200579 |
Description: Disaster strikes, transforming cities and towns into graveyards and wastelands in a matter of minutes. But help is on its way: news channels and social media relay the information to all corners of the globe in real-time, mobilising hundreds of people and organisations to aid. Yet, with standard relief packages regardless of the location, and a lack of effort taken to match volunteers' skills with tasks, just how effective are we at helping others?Many people want to do good, but they like to do it at their convenience. These attempts at helping often fail, and the blame invariably falls on the disaster victims, rather than looking at the suitability of aid provided. Such help, offered without a thorough understanding of the context or the impact of actions, can create situations that leave the victims worse off than before.So how can we create real sustainable impact?Most communities have a lot of unused human capacity. When offering help, many aid providers fail to engage the local communities, thus excluding a critical group of people with the knowledge of local ways and needs.This book elaborates on a simple principle essential to effective aid â€” Never Help: Engage, Enable, Empower and Connect.It is important that we fully understand the problem before we try to solve it, and who better to help us with solutions than the local community?
Good Intentions Are Not Enough: Why We Fail at Helping Others.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35503
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Good Intentions Are Not Enough: Transformative Leadership for Communities of Difference
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Fat, Fate, and Disease: Why exercise and diet are not enough
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Fat, Fate, and Disease: Why exercise and diet are not enough
- 2019-03-20Fat, Fate, and Disease Why exercise and diet are not enough
- 2019-03-18Fat, Fate, and Disease Why exercise and diet are not enough
- 2017-12-29[PDF] The Tolerance Trap: How God, Genes, and Good Intentions are Sabotaging Gay Equality (Intersections)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] James Bond in World and Popular Culture: The Films are Not Enough, Second Edition
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Dreams Are Not Enough
- 2013-02-27Fat, Fate, and Disease: Why exercise and diet are not enough
- 2020-12-08Algorithms Are Not Enough Creating General Artificial Intelligence
- 2020-11-22Humans Are Not Robots: Why We All Need Work Flexibility and What Company Leaders Can Do About It
- 2020-07-11Helping Grieving People When Tears Are Not Enough A Handbook for Care Providers
- 2020-06-26The Tolerance Trap: How God, Genes, and Good Intentions are Sabotaging Gay Equality (Intersections)
- 2019-03-04The Tolerance Trap How God, Genes, and Good Intentions are Sabotaging Gay Equality
- 2019-02-24The Tolerance Trap How God, Genes, and Good Intentions are Sabotaging Gay Equality
- 2019-01-31The Tolerance Trap How God, Genes, and Good Intentions are Sabotaging Gay Equality
- 2018-12-04Dance and Other Expressive Art Therapies When Words Are Not Enough
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Hard Work Is Not Enough: Gender and Racial Inequality in an Urban Workspace
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A PhD Is Not Enough!: A Guide to Survival in Science
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.