[PDF] Global Markets and Local Crafts: Thailand and Costa Rica Compared (Themes in Global Social Change)
Posted on 2017-11-28, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Frederick F. Wherry | Publisher: Johns Hopkins University Press | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 208 | ISBN: 0801887941 | ISBN13: 9780801887949 |
Description: Today it is not uncommon to find items in department stores that are hand-crafted in countries like Thailand and Costa Rica. These "traditional" crafts now make up an important part of a global market. They support local and sometimes national economies and help create and solidify cultural identity. But these crafts are not necessarily indigenous. Whereas Thailand markets crafts with a long history and cultural legacy, Costa Rica has created a local handicraft tradition where none was known to exist previously. In Global Markets and Local Crafts, Frederick F. Wherry compares the handicraft industries of Thailand and Costa Rica to show how local cultural industries break into global markets and, conversely, how global markets affect the ways in which artisans understand, adapt, and utilize their cultural traditions. Wherry develops a new framework for studying globalization by considering the phenomenon from the perspective of the supplier instead of the market. Drawing from interviews and extensive fieldwork shadowing artisans and exporters in their daily dealings, Wherry offers a rare account of globalization in motionand what happens when market negotiations do not proceed as planned. Considering economic and political forces, flows of people and materials, and frames that define cultural and market situations as they play out in the artisan communities of these two countries, Wherry uncovers how authentic folk tradition is capitalized or created.
Global Markets and Local Crafts: Thailand and Costa Rica Compared (Themes in Global Social Change).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33885
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Emerging Markets and the Global Economy: A Handbook
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Global Climate Change Policy and Carbon Markets: Transition to a New Era (Energy, Climate and the Environment)
- 2017-01-04[PDF] Emerging Markets and the Global Economy: A Handbook
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Money, Markets, and Democracy: Politically Skewed Financial Markets and How to Fix Them
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Capital Markets and Non-bank Financial Institutions in Romania: Assessment of Key Issues and Recommendations for Development (World Bank Working Papers)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Financial Markets and Financial Crises (National Bureau of Economic Research Project Report)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Global Climate Change and Terrestrial Invertebrates
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Mobility, Markets and Indigenous Socialities: Contemporary Migration in the Peruvian Andes (Vitality of Indigenous Religions)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Global Climate Change and Public Health (Respiratory Medicine)
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Financial Markets and Institutions (5th Edition) - Removed
- 2017-12-29[PDF] Financial Markets and Trading: An Introduction to Market Microstructure and Trading Strategies
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Managing Markets and Customers: Revised Edition (Management Extra)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Housing Markets and Planning Policy
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Global Environmental Change: Challenges to Science and Society in Southeastern Europe: Selected Papers presented in the International Conference held 19-21 May 2008 in Sofia Bulgaria
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Global, Social, and Organizational Implications of Emerging Information Resources Management: Concepts and Applications
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Financial Markets and Institutions (7th Edition) (The Prentice Hall Series in Finance)
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Financial Markets and Institutions, 9th Edition
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Financial Markets and Institutions (8th edition)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Social Movements and Global Social Change: The Rising Tide
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.