Posted on 2017-11-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Karl D. Qualls | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 232 | ISBN: 0801447623 | ISBN13: 9780801447624 |
Description: Sevastopol, located in present-day Ukraine but still home to the Russian Black Sea Fleet and revered by Russians for its role in the Crimean War, was utterly destroyed by German forces during World War II. In From Ruins to Reconstruction, Karl D. Qualls tells the complex story of the city's rebuilding. Based on extensive research in archives in both Moscow and Sevastopol, architectural plans and drawings, interviews, and his own extensive experience in Sevastopol, Qualls tells a unique story in which the periphery "bests" the Stalinist center: the city's experience shows that local officials had considerable room to maneuver even during the peak years of Stalinist control. Qualls first paints a vivid portrait of the ruined city and the sufferings of its surviving inhabitants. He then turns to Moscow's plans to remake the ancient city on the heroic socialist model prized by Stalin and visited upon most other postwar Soviet cities and towns. In Sevastopol, however, the architects and city planners sent out from the center "went native," deviating from Moscow's blueprints to collaborate with local officials and residents, who seized control of the planning process and rebuilt the city in a manner that celebrated its distinctive historical identity. When completed, postwar Sevastopol resembled a nineteenth-century Russian city, with tree-lined boulevards wide walkways and buildings, street names, and memorials to its heroism in wars both long past and recent. Though visually Russian (and still containing a majority Russian-speaking population), Sevastopol was in 1954 joined to Ukraine, which in 1991 became an independent state. In his concluding chapter, Qualls explores how the "Russianness" of the city and the presence of the Russian fleet affect relations between Ukraine, Russia, and the West.
From Ruins to Reconstruction: Urban Identity in Soviet Sevastopol after World War II.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33646
- 2017-12-06[PDF] From Classroom to Battlefield: Victoria High School and the First World War
- 2017-11-13[PDF] From Coastal Command to Captivity : The Memoir of a Second World War Airman
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Herr Lubitsch Goes to Hollywood: German and American Film after World War I (Amsterdam University Press - Film Culture in Transition) [German]
- 2017-10-25[PDF] From Africa to Brazil: Culture, Identity, and an Atlantic Slave Trade, 1600-1830 (African Studies)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Locating the Destitute: Space and Identity in Caribbean Fiction (New World Studies)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Nationalism from the Left: The Bulgarian Communist Party During the Second World War and the Early Post-War Years (Balkan Studies Library) - Removed
- 2018-01-01[PDF] From The Dreadnought to Scarpa Flow - Volume 01 - The Road to War, 1904-1914
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Forgotten Voices: The Expulsion of the Germans from Eastern Europe after World War II
- 2017-12-22[PDF] From Eve to Dawn, A History of Women in the World, Volume I: Origins: From Prehistory to the First Millennium
- 2017-12-22[PDF] From Eve to Dawn, A History of Women in the World, Volume II: The Masculine Mystique: From Feudalism to the French Revolution
- 2017-12-22[PDF] From Eve to Dawn, A History of Women in the World, Volume III: Infernos and Paradises, The Triumph of Capitalism in the 19th Century
- 2017-12-22[PDF] From Eve to Dawn, A History of Women in the World, Volume IV: Revolutions and Struggles for Justice in the 20th Century
- 2017-12-06[PDF] From Democrats to Kings: The Brutal Dawn of a New World from the Downfall of Athens to the Rise of Alexander the Great
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Walking Into Hell 1st July 1916: Memoirs of the First World War (Eyewitnesses from the Great War)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] From Symposium to Eucharist: The Banquet in the Early Christian World
- 2017-11-17[PDF] From the Dardanelles to Oran: Studies of the Royal Navy in War and Peace 1915-1940
- 2017-11-17[PDF] DER ADLER: The Official Nazi Luftwaffe Magazine - English Language Edition (World War II from Original Sources)
- 2017-11-14[PDF] From Home Guards to Heroes: The 87th Pennsylvania and Its Civil War Community
- 2017-10-06[PDF] From Noah to Israel: Realization of the Primaeval Blessing After the Flood (The Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.