Posted on 2017-11-09, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Harry Berger Jr. | Category: Popular science | Language: English | Page: 176 | ISBN: 0823257487 | ISBN13: 9780823257485 |
Description: Figures of a Changing World offers a dramatic new account of cultural change, an account based on the distinction between two familiar rhetorical figures, metonymy and metaphor. The book treats metonymy as the basic organizing trope of traditional culture and metaphor as the basic organizing trope of modern culture. On the one hand, metonymies present themselves as analogies that articulate or reaffirm preexisting states of affairs. They are guarantors of facticity, a term that can be translated or defined as fact-like-ness. On the other hand, metaphors challenge the similarity they claim to establish, in order to feature departures from preexisting states of affairs. On the basis of this distinction, the author argues that metaphor and metonymy can be used as instruments both for the large-scale interpretation of tensions in cultural change and for the micro-interpretation of tensions within particular texts. In addressing the functioning of the two terms, the author draws upon and critiques the work of Friedrich Nietzsche, Roman Jakobson, Christian Metz, Paul Ricoeur, Umberto Eco, Edmund Leach, and Paul de Man.
Figures of a Changing World: Metaphor and the Emergence of Modern Culture.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33277
- 2020-04-30Figures of a Changing World: Metaphor and the Emergence of Modern Culture
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Cataclysm 1914: The First World War and the Making of Modern World Politics (Historical Materialism Book)
- 2018-10-12The Third Lens Metaphor and the Creation of Modern Cell Biology
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Bio-Politics and the Emergence of Modern Architecture (FORuM Project Publications) (Princeton Architectural Press)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Days of Glory?: Imaging Military Recruitment and the French Revolution (War, Culture and Society, 1750-1850) [French] - Removed
- 2017-04-07[PDF] The Newtonian Moment: Isaac Newton and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Newtonian Moment: Isaac Newton and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2020-02-07Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-11-22Turn This World Inside Out: The Emergence of Nurturance Culture
- 2019-11-06Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-09-27Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-09-09Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-08-27Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2018-10-29From Subject to Citizen The Second Empire and the Emergence of Modern French Democracy
- 2018-06-27The Pope Who Would Be King The Exile of Pius IX and the Emergence of Modern Europe
- 2018-05-02The Pope Who Would Be King: The Exile of Pius IX and the Emergence of Modern Europe
- 2011-10-13The Private Worlds of Marcel Duchamp: Desire, Liberation, and the Self in Modern Culture - Removed
- 2010-04-12Aristocratic Experience and the Origins of Modern Culture: France, 1570-1715
- 2009-06-24Aristocratic Experience and the Origins of Modern Culture: France, 1570-1715.
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.