Posted on 2018-01-14, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Bernard Lewis | Category: Religion Other | Language: English | Page: 240 | ISBN: 019514421X | ISBN13: 9780195144215 |
Description: Well-known Middle East historian and analyst Lewis collects essays and speeches in his latest book, rather incoherently organized around the titular theme of faith and power. Since the text lacks footnotes, the reader may wonder if Lewis is presenting historical fact or his own opinions, weighted toward a dark view of Islam, which could explain his appeal to neoconservatives. His assertions, for instance, that early Muslims had no respect for or understanding of Christianity and that Muhammad conquered Mecca run contrary to what many other scholars, as well as practicing Muslims, write and believe. His understanding of the Qur'an is shallow he criticizes the Muslim term khalifa, meaning caliph or leader, as showing Muslim ambition because of the term's vagueness, but the Qur'an specifically cites the term khalifa in a well-known verse enjoining Muslims to be the vice-regents or khalifas of God on Earth. In his chapter analyzing Osama bin Ladin's fatwa against the United States, he fails to mention that fatwas are not binding on Muslims, misleading the reader into believing that Muslims, on the whole, abide by them. His obstinately Eurocentric view has him criticizing Muslims for all manner of far-flung vices, such as failing to learn European languages and music. Readers looking to learn more about Islam and the Middle East should seek a less rigid text.
Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35314
- 2018-08-05Faith and Power Religion and Politics in the Middle East
- 2011-11-11Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East
- 2011-08-10Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East (repost)
- 2011-08-02Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East
- 2010-12-01Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Religion and Politics in the Middle East: Identity, Ideology, Institutions, and Attitudes
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire (Gender, Culture, and Politics in the Middle East)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Business and Society in the Middle East: Exploring Responsible Business Practice (Palgrave Studies in Governance, Leadership and Responsibility) - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Spies and Holy Wars: The Middle East in 20th-Century Crime Fiction
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Race and Slavery in the Middle East: Histories of Trans-Saharan Africans in 19th-Century Egypt, Sudan, and the Ottoman Mediterranean
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Media and Peace in the Middle East: The Role of Journalism in Israel-Palestine (Palgrave Studies in Compromise after Conflict) - Removed
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Warfare and Poetry in the Middle East
- 2011-10-09Intersections: Gender, Nation, and Community in Arab Womenâ€™s Novels (Gender, Culture, and Politics in the Middle East)
- 2011-09-24Intersections: Gender, Nation, and Community in Arab Womenâ€™s Novels (Gender, Culture, and Politics in the Middle East)
- 2009-12-29Strategy and Politics in the Middle East, 1954-1960: Defending the Northern Tier
- 2009-03-27Governments and Politics of the Middle East in the Twentieth Century
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Between Dissent and Power: The Transformation of Islamic Politics in the Middle East and Asia (IDE-JETRO Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-11[PDF] How to Survive the Apocalypse: Zombies, Cylons, Faith, and Politics at the End of the World
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.