Posted on 2017-11-30, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Lisbeth S. Fried | Category: Christianity | Language: English | Page: 248 | ISBN: 1611173132 | ISBN13: 9781611173130 |
Description: The historical Ezra was sent to Jerusalem as an emissary of the Persian monarch. What was his task? According to the Bible, the Persian king sent Ezra to bring the Torah, the five books of the Laws of Moses, to the Jews. Modern scholars have claimed not only that Ezra brought the Torah to Jerusalem, but that he actually wrote it, and in so doing Ezra created Judaism. Without Ezra, they say, Judaism would not exist. In Ezra and the Law in History and Tradition, Lisbeth S. Fried separates historical fact from biblical legend. Drawing on inscriptions from the Achaemenid Empire, she presents the historical Ezra in the context of authentic Persian administrative practices and concludes that Ezra, the Persian official, neither wrote nor edited the Torah, nor would he even have known it. The origin of Judaism, so often associated with Ezra by modern scholars, must be sought elsewhere. After discussing the historical Ezra, Fried examines ancient, medieval, and modern views of him, explaining how each originated, and why. She relates the stories told about Ezra by medieval Christians to explain why their Greek Old Testament differs from the Hebrew Bible, as well as the explanations offered by medieval Samaritans concerning how their Samaritan Bible varies from the one the Jews use. Church Fathers as well as medieval Samaritan writers explained the differences by claiming that Ezra falsified the Bible when he rewrote it, so that in effect, it is not the book that Moses wrote but something else. Moslem scholars also maintain that Ezra falsified the Old Testament, since Mohammed, the last judgment, and Heaven and Hell are revealed in it. In contrast Jewish Talmudic writers viewed Ezra both as a second Moses and as the prophet Malachi. In the process of describing ancient, medieval, and modern views of Ezra, Fried brings out various understandings of God, God's law, and God's plan for our salvation.
Ezra and the Law in History and Tradition (Studies on Personalities of the Old Testament).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33943
- 2020-05-12Ezra and the Law in History and Tradition (Studies on Personalities of the Old Testament)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Just James: The Brother of Jesus in History and Tradition (Studies on Personalities of the New Testament)
- 2010-02-26Just James: The Brother of Jesus in History and Tradition (Studies on Personalities of the New Testament)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Warriors of the Old Testament (Heroes & Warriors)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Doubt in Islamic Law: A History of Legal Maxims, Interpretation, and Islamic Criminal Law (Cambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Popes and Antipopes (Studies in the History of Christian Traditions)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Midian, Moab and Edom: The History and Archaeology of Late Bronze and Iron Age Jordan and North-West Arabia (Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, Supplement Series, No. 24)
- 2011-12-30Great Figures of the Old Testament : Parts 1 & 2, Includes 12 Audio CD's and 2 Course Guidebooks (The Great Courses : Religion) - Removed
- 2021-09-09The Apocrypha of the Bible The History of the Ancient Apocryphal Texts Left Out of the Old Testament and New Testament
- 2021-01-10History and Ideology in the Old Testament Biblical Studies at the End of a Millennium The Hensley He...
- 2021-01-07The Old Testament in Archaeology and History
- 2020-01-14The Old Testament in Archaeology and History
- 2020-01-05John the Baptist in History and Theology (Studies on Personalities of the New Testament)
- 2018-10-10The Old Testament in Archaeology and History
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Expression and Meaning: Studies in the Theory of Speech Acts
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Wisdom Literature: Job, Proverbs, Ruth, Canticles, Ecclesiastes, and Esther (Forms of the Old Testament Literature)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Hebrew Bible - Removed
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Language and Emotion (Studies in the Social and Cultural Foundations of Language)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Australia and Britain: Studies in a Changing Relationship (Studies in Commonwealth Politics and History No. 5)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.