Posted on 2017-10-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: A. J. Angulo | Publisher: Johns Hopkins University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 224 | ISBN: 1421420074 | ISBN13: 9781421420073 |
Description: The most significant shift in higher education over the past two decades has been the emergence of for-profit colleges and universities. These online and storefront institutions lure students with promises of fast degrees and "guaranteed" job placement, but what they deliver is often something quite different. In this provocative history of for-profit higher education, historian and educational researcher A. J. Angulo tells the remarkable and often sordid story of these "diploma mills," which target low-income and nontraditional students while scooping up a disproportionate amount of federal student aid. Tapping into a little-known history with big implications, Angulo takes readers on a lively journey that begins with the apprenticeship system of colonial America and ends with todays politically savvy $35 billion multinational for-profit industry. He traces the transformation of nineteenth-century reading and writing schools into "commercial" and "business" colleges, explores the early twentieth centurys move toward professionalization and progressivism, and explains why the GI Bill prompted a surge of new for-profit institutions. He also shows how well-founded concerns about profit-seeking in higher education have evolved over the centuries and argues that financial gaming and maneuvering by these institutions threatens to destabilize the entire federal student aid program. This is the first sweeping narrative history to explain why for-profits have mattered to students, taxpayers, lawmakers, and the many others who have viewed higher education as part of the American dream. Diploma Mills speaks to todays concerns by shedding light on unmistakable conflicts of interest long associated with this scandal-plagued class of colleges and universities.
Diploma Mills: How For-Profit Colleges Stiffed Students, Taxpayers, and the American Dream.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32340
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters
- 2019-07-18* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read Lower Ed: How For-Profit Colleges Deepen Inequality in America by Tressie McMillan Cottom Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Making Failure Pay: For-Profit Tutoring, High-Stakes Testing, and Public Schools - Removed
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Evolving Lacanian Perspectives for Clinical Psychoanalysis: On Narcissism, Sexuation, and the Phases/Faces of Analysis in Contemporary Culture
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Strength Rules, How to Get Stronger Than Almost Anyone And the Proven Plan to Make It Real
- 2017-10-10[PDF] TIME The Science of Sleep: How Rest Works Wonders, What Kids Need, and The New Dream Therapy
- 2021-06-02Aspen and the American Dream: How One Town Manages Inequality in the Era of Supergentrification
- 2021-04-17Set For Life Dominate Life Money And The American Dream
- 2018-09-04Temp How American Work, American Business, and the American Dream Became Temporary
- 2018-08-31Temp: How American Work, American Business, and the American Dream Became Temporary
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Between Islam and the American Dream: An Immigrant Muslim Community in Post-9/11 America (Routledge Advances in Sociology)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Nightmare Alley: Film Noir and the American Dream
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Mr Playboy: Hugh Hefner and the American Dream - Removed
- 2017-11-28[PDF] The First Black President: Barack Obama, Race, Politics, and the American Dream - Removed
- 2017-06-13Set For Life Dominate Life, Money, And The American Dream
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The First Black President: Barack Obama, Race, Politics, and the American Dream
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Lower Ed: The Troubling Rise of For-Profit Colleges in the New Economy
- 2020-12-01How to Profit in Gold - Professional Tips and Strategies for Today's Ultimate Safe...
- 2019-07-12@#(Excellent) - Why You Should Read How to Kill a City: Gentrification, Inequality, and the Fight for the Neighborhood by P.E. Moskowitz Online or Download [$PDF $EPUB $MOBI]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.