Posted on 2017-11-30, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Rachel Laudan | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 488 | ISBN: 0520266455 | ISBN13: 9780520266452 |
Description: Rachel Laudan tells the remarkable story of the rise and fall of the world's great cuisinesâ€”from the mastery of grain cooking some twenty thousand years ago, to the presentâ€”in this superbly researched book. Probing beneath the apparent confusion of dozens of cuisines to reveal the underlying simplicity of the culinary family tree, she shows how periodic seismic shifts in "culinary philosophy"â€”beliefs about health, the economy, politics, society and the godsâ€”prompted the construction of new cuisines, a handful of which, chosen as the cuisines of empires, came to dominate the globe. Cuisine and Empire shows how merchants, missionaries, and the military took cuisines over mountains, oceans, deserts, and across political frontiers. Laudan's innovative narrative treats cuisine, like language, clothing, or architecture, as something constructed by humans. By emphasizing how cooking turns farm products into food and by taking the globe rather than the nation as the stage, she challenges the agrarian, romantic, and nationalistic myths that underlie the contemporary food movement.
Cuisine and Empire: Cooking in World History.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33951
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Women and the Vote: A World History
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Women and the Vote: A World History
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The World of Greece and Rome (An Illustrated World History)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Missions and Empire (Oxford History of the British Empire Companion Series)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Environment and Empire (Oxford History of the British Empire Companion)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Hollywood and Anti-Semitism: A Cultural History up to World War II (Cambridge Studies in the History of Mass Communication)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Escape from Empire: The Developing World's Journey through Heaven and Hell
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Lectures on the Philosophy of World History (Cambridge Studies in the History and Theory of Politics)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Women and Politics around the World: A Comparative History and Survey 2 volume set
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food and People
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Jesus and Empire: The Kingdom of God and the New World Disorder
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Gender and Empire (Oxford History of the British Empire Companion)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Trade and Empire in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food and People, 3rd Edition
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Swashbucklers and Black Sheep: A Pictorial History of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Ideology and Empire in Eighteenth-Century India: The British in Bengal (Cambridge Studies in Indian History and Society)
- 2017-11-02[PDF] British and American Tanks of World War Ii The Complete Illustrated History of British, American and Commonwealth Tanks, Gun Motor Carriages and Spe
- 2017-10-30[PDF] The West and Islam Religion and Political Thought in World History
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Pristine Culture of Capitalism: A Historical Essay on Old Regimes and Modern States (Verso World History Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.