Posted on 2018-01-28, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Michael Hiltzik | Publisher: Free Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 512 | ISBN: 1416532161 | ISBN13: 9781416532163 |
Description: As breathtaking today as the day it was completed, Hoover Dam not only shaped the American West but helped launch the American century. In the depths of the Great Depression it became a symbol of American resilience and ingenuity in the face of crisis, putting thousands of men to work in a remote desert canyon and bringing unruly nature to heel. Pulitzer Prizewinning writer Michael Hiltzik uses the saga of the dams conception, design, and construction to tell the broader story of Americas efforts to come to grips with titanic social, economic, and natural forces. For embodied in the dams striking machine-age form is the fundamental transformation the Depression wrought in the nations very culturethe shift from the concept of rugged individualism rooted in the frontier days of the nineteenth century to the principle of shared enterprise and communal support that would build the America we know today. In the process, the unprecedented effort to corral the raging Colorado River evolved from a regional construction project launched by a Republican president into the New Deals outstandingand enduringsymbol of national pride. Yet the story of Hoover Dam has a darker side. Its construction was a gargantuan engineering feat achieved at great human cost, its progress marred by the abuse of a desperate labor force. The water and power it made available spurred the development of such great western metropolises as Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and San Diego, but the vision of unlimited growth held dear by its designers and builders is fast turning into a mirage. In Hiltziks hands, the players in this epic historical tale spring vividly to life: President Theodore Roosevelt, who conceived the project William Mulholland, Southern Californias great builder of water works, who urged the dam upon a reluctant Congress Herbert Hoover, who gave the dam his name though he initially opposed its construction Frank Crowe, the dams renowned master builder, who pushed his men mercilessly to raise the beautiful concrete rampart in an inhospitable desert gorge. Finally there is Franklin Roosevelt, who presided over the ultimate completion of the project and claimed the credit for it. Hiltzik combines exhaustive research, trenchant observation, and unforgettable storytelling to shed new light on a major turning point of twentieth-century history.
Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35742
- 2020-05-04Colossus Hoover Dam And The Making Of The American Century
- 2017-05-11Colossus: Hoover Dam And The Making Of The American Century [audiobook]
- 2014-04-01Michael Hiltzik - Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century
- 2014-03-29Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century (Audiobook)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] LIFE World War I: The Great War and the American Century - Removed
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Transamerican Literary Relations and the Nineteenth-Century Public Sphere (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Voluntarism, Community Life, and the American Ethic (Philanthropic and Nonprofit Studies)
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Douglas Fairbanks and the American Century
- 2017-11-01[PDF] English Public Opinion and the American Civil War (Royal Historical Society Studies in History New Series)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Camera Works: Photography and the Twentieth-Century Word
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Hugh of Amiens and the Twelfth-Century Renaissance (Church, Faith, and Culture in the Medieval West)
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Buyways: Billboards, Automobiles, and the American Landscape (Cultural Spaces)
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Buyways: Billboards, Automobiles, and the American Landscape (Cultural Spaces)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Voluntarism, Community Life, and the American Ethic (Philanthropic and Nonprofit Studies)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Camera Works: Photography and the Twentieth-Century Word
- 2020-12-06Franklin D. Roosevelt and the American Century [Audiobook]
- 2020-09-13The People's Tycoon: Henry Ford and the American Century [Audiobook]
- 2019-05-05White Shoe How a New Breed of Wall Street Lawyers Changed Big Business and the American Century [ - Removed
- 2019-03-26White Shoe How a New Breed of Wall Street Lawyers Changed Big Business and the American Century [... - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.