[PDF] Class, Culture and Community: New Perspectives in Nineteenth and Twentieth Century British Labour History
Posted on 2017-12-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Anne Baldwin | Publisher: Cambridge Scholars Publishing | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 250 | ISBN: 1443840645 | ISBN13: 9781443840644 |
Description: In recent years, historians have debated fervently on the reason for the decline of British Labour History as an academic discipline. Most certainly the challenge of Thatcherism to the working classes and trade unions in the 1980s, and the fragmentation of Labour history into gender studies, industrial studies and women's history, have contributed to its apparent decline. Post-modernists' challenges to the concept of class, culture and community have done their damage. As a result Labour history, in its broad-school sense, has been taught less and less in British universities. Yet it survives and there are grounds for believing that it will revive. This collection of chapters arose from a conference held at the University of Huddersfield in November 2010, held under the auspices of the Society for the Study of Labour History, where nineteen papers were presented. Ten of this disparate array of papers form the basis of this collection. The theme of community and localised struggle form the first section, ranging as it does from the newspapers' representation of Yorkshire miners to brass bands and the development of separate culture. The second section deals with the more traditional trade unionism and varieties of industrial struggle. The third section focuses upon the political aspects of working-class activity, drawing upon the role of women, and Labour policy on steel nationalisation and defence. The fourth deals with radicalism, ranging from the failure of Chartism, the policy of working-class organisations to emigration, and the failure of the soft section of the British left in the 1920s and 1930s. There is no all-embracing concept here for what is a varied collection of chapters. However, what can be said is that British Labour history continues to provide new areas for research. Indeed, its death as an academic discipline has been greatly exaggerated. This collection of book chapters represents the current revival in Labour history which has emerged in a form that brings together community and culture alongside class and political representation to explore the breadth and depth of working-class identity.
Class, Culture and Community: New Perspectives in Nineteenth and Twentieth Century British Labour History.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34575
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Lutyens, Maconchy, Williams and Twentieth-Century British Music: A Blest Trio of Sirens
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Aesthetic Revolutions and Twentieth-Century Avant-Garde Movements
- 2012-03-14The Biolinguistic Enterprise: New Perspectives on the Evolution and Nature of the Human Language Faculty By Anna Maria Di Sciullo, Cedric Boeckx
- 2018-06-12Rethinking New Womanhood Practices of Gender, Class, Culture and Religion in South Asia
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Between Culture and Biology: Perspectives on Ontogenetic Development (Cambridge Studies in Cognitive and Perceptual Development)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Beyond the Color Line: New Perspectives on Race and Ethnicity in America
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Working in the Wings: New Perspectives on Theatre History and Labor (Theater in the Americas)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Language, Culture, and Teaching: Critical Perspectives (Language, Culture, and Teaching Series)
- 2017-10-18[PDF] Visual Culture and the German Middle Ages (The New Middle Ages) [German]
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Language, Culture, and Teaching: Critical Perspectives (Language, Culture, and Teaching Series)
- 2012-03-20New Perspectives on Microsoft Expression Web 2007, Introductory By Henry Bojack
- 2011-09-22Language Teacher Identities: Co-constructing Discourse and Community (New Perspectives on Language and Education) - Removed
- 2011-09-01Supply Chain Management - New Perspectives
- 2011-08-31Kidney Transplantation - New Perspectives
- 2011-01-29Language Teacher Identities: Co-constructing Discourse and Community (New Perspectives on Language and Education) - Removed
- 2018-09-07Class, Culture and Conflict in Barcelona, 1898-1937
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Class, Power and the State in Capitalist Society: Essays on Ralph Miliband - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Consumer Culture and Personal Finance: Money Goes to Market (Consumption and Public Life) - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Class Six and the Nits of Doom
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.