[PDF] Claiming the Bicycle: Women, Rhetoric, and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (Studies in Rhetorics and Feminisms)
Posted on 2018-01-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Sarah Hallenbeck | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 240 | ISBN: 0809334445 | ISBN13: 9780809334445 |
Description: Although the impact of the bicycle craze of the late nineteenth century on womenâ€™s lives has been well documented, rarely have writers considered the role of womenâ€™s rhetorical agency in the transformation of bicycle culture and the bicycle itself. In Claiming the Bicycle, Sarah Hallenbeck argues that through their collective rhetorical activities, women who were widely dispersed in space, genre, and intention negotiated what were considered socially acceptable uses of the bicycle, destabilizing cultural assumptions about femininity and gender differences. Hallenbeck describes the masculine culture of the â€œOrdinaryâ€ bicycle of the 1880s and the ways women helped bring about changes in this culture asserts that women contributed to bicycle design, helping to produce the more gender-neutral â€œSafetyâ€ bicycle in response to discourse about their needs and analyzes women writersâ€™ uses of the new venue of popular magazines to shape a â€œbicycle girlâ€ ethos that prompted new identities for women. The author considers not only how technical documents written by women bicyclists encouraged new riders to understand their activity as transforming gender definitions but also how women used bicycling as a rhetorical resource to influence medical discourse about their bodies. Making a significant contribution to studies of feminist rhetorical historiography, rhetorical agency, and technical communication, Claiming the Bicycle asserts the utility of a distributed model of rhetorical agency and accounts for the efforts of widely dispersed actors to harness technology in promoting social change.
Claiming the Bicycle: Women, Rhetoric, and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (Studies in Rhetorics and Feminisms).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35520
- 2020-11-19Claiming The Bicycle Women Rhetoric And Technology In Nineteenth Century America
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Claiming the Pen: Women and Intellectual Life in the Early American South
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Inside the Teaching Machine: Rhetoric and the Globalization of the U.S. Public Research University (Albma Rhetoric Cult & Soc Crit)
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Remembering the Samsui Women: Migration and Social Memory in Singapore and China (Contemporary Chinese Studies)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] A Faithful Account of the Race: African American Historical Writing in Nineteenth-Century America (The John Hope Franklin Series in African American History and Culture)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Engineering Empires: A Cultural History of Technology in Nineteenth-Century Britain - Removed
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Behind the Postmodern Facade: Architectural Change in Late Twentieth-Century America
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Engineering Empires: A Cultural History of Technology in Nineteenth-Century Britain
- 2013-04-22Science and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (repost)
- 2011-01-21Science and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America
- 2013-04-19A Faithful Account of the Race: African American Historical Writing in Nineteenth-Century America
- 2008-02-25[request]IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : (BS 7671: 2008)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Way with Words: Writing Rhetoric and the Art of Persuasion (The Modern Scholar) (Audiobook)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Recording the Classics: Maestros, Music, and Technology
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Hitched The Modern Women and Arranged Marriage.
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Beyond the Dance Floor: Female DJs, Technology and Electronic Dance Music Culture
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Hammer and the Flute: Women, Power, and Spirit Possession
- 2017-12-27[PDF] An Alliance Of Women: Immigration And The Politics Of Race
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Handbook of Rhetoric and Public Address
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.