[PDF] Cities of Commerce: The Institutional Foundations of International Trade in the Low Countries, 1250-1650 (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)
Posted on 2017-04-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Oscar Gelderblom | Publisher: Princeton University Press | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 312 | ISBN: 0691142882 | ISBN13: 9780691142883 |
Description: Cities of Commerce develops a model of institutional change in European commerce based on urban rivalry. Cities continuously competed with each other by adapting commercial, legal, and financial institutions to the evolving needs of merchants. Oscar Gelderblom traces the successive rise of Bruges, Antwerp, and Amsterdam to commercial primacy between 1250 and 1650, showing how dominant cities feared being displaced by challengers while lesser cities sought to keep up by cultivating policies favorable to trade. He argues that it was this competitive urban network that promoted open-access institutions in the Low Countries, and emphasizes the central role played by the urban power holdersthe magistratesin fostering these inclusive institutional arrangements. Gelderblom describes how the city fathers resisted the predatory or reckless actions of their territorial rulers, and how their nonrestrictive approach to commercial life succeeded in attracting merchants from all over Europe. Cities of Commerce intervenes in an important debate on the growth of trade in Europe before the Industrial Revolution. Challenging influential theories that attribute this commercial expansion to the political strength of merchants, this book demonstrates how urban rivalry fostered the creation of open-access institutions in international trade.
Cities of Commerce: The Institutional Foundations of International Trade in the Low Countries, 1250-1650 (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World).pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
8609 dl's @ 2970 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
9853 dl's @ 3714 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
9967 dl's @ 2619 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] Cities of Commerce: The Institutional Foundations of International Trade in the Low Countries, 1250-1650 (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 31398
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Cities That Shaped the Ancient World
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Wars That Made the Western World: The Persian Wars, the Peloponnesian War (The Modern Scholar) (Audiobook)
- 2017-04-13[PDF] Social Cohesion in the Western World: What Holds Societies Together: Insights from the Social Cohesion Radar (SpringerBriefs in Well-Being and Quality of Life Research) - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Cities, Business, and the Politics of Urban Violence in Latin America
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Cities by Design: The Social Life of Urban Form
- 2022-09-12Cities That Shaped the Ancient World [Audiobook]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Beautiful Thing: Inside the Secret World of Bombay's Dance Bars
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Midget Submarines of the Second World War (Shipshape)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Landscape Archaeology of the Western Nile Delta (Wilbour Studies in Egypt and Ancient Western Asia) - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Wireless Networking in the Developing World: Black and White Version
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Deinstitutionalisation and After: Post-War Psychiatry in the Western World (Mental Health in Historical Perspective) - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Young Guns: Inside the Violent World of Britain's Street Gangs
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Allied Tanks of the Second World War (Images of War)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Secret Teachers of the Western World
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Between Heaven and the Real World: My Story
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Queer Theology: Rethinking the Western Body
- 2018-01-25[PDF] State Failure in the Modern World
- 2018-01-24[PDF] British Aircraft of the Second World War
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World
No comments for "[PDF] Cities of Commerce: The Institutional Foundations of International Trade in the Low Countries, 1250-1650 (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.