Posted on 2018-01-01, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Thomas McStay Adams | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 416 | ISBN: 0195051688 | ISBN13: 9780195051681 |
Description: In the mid-eighteenth century in France, the royal authorities launched a new campaign to sweep beggars from the streets, pinning their hopes on the creation of a uniform royal network of lock-ups in which anyone found begging might be detained. In this study, Adams probes the accomplishments and the failings of these so-called depots de mendicite, as seen by critics of the experiment (including learned judges and influential spokesmen of the provincial Estates) and as seen by those responsible for its success: the provincial intendants, the royal engineers, the doctors, the inspectors, the contractors, and various givers of advice. He shows how the debate both internal and external over the operation of the depots contributed to the intellectual ferment of the Enlightenment and the Revolution. The resulting web of reasoning and empirical data gave support to Montesquieu's principle that the state owes every one of its citizens "a secure subsistence, suitable food and clothing, and a manner of life that is not contrary to good health."
Bureaucrats and Beggars: French Social Policy in the Age of the Enlightenment.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34922
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Bureaucrats and Beggars: French Social Policy in the Age of the Enlightenment
- 2013-08-13Bureaucrats and Beggars: French Social Policy in the Age of the Enlightenment (repost)
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Evidence and Evaluation in Social Policy
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Montesquieu and England: Enlightened Exchanges 1689-1755 (The Enlightenment World)
- 2012-03-16Think-tanks, Social Democracy and Social Policy By Hartwig Pautz - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Social Policy Review 21: Analysis and debate in social policy, 2009 (Social Policy Review (Hardback))
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Women and Poverty: Psychology, Public Policy, and Social Justice
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Social Work and Social Policy: Advancing the Principles of Economic and Social Justice
- 2020-07-23Evidence and Evaluation in Social Policy (Broadening Perspectives in Social Policy)
- 2018-12-14Restructuring the Welfare State Theory and Reform of Social Policy
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Nixon, Kissinger, and U.S. Foreign Policy Making: The Machinery of Crisis
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Prediction and Inference from Social Networks and Social Media (Lecture Notes in Social Networks)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Experts and Consensus in Social Science (Ethical Economy) - Removed
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Play and Learn French , 2nd Edition
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Federal Fathers and Mothers: A Social History of the United States Indian Service, 1869-1933 (First Peoples: New Directions in Indigenous Studies (University of North Carolina Press Hardcover))
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Racism and Everyday Life: Social Theory, History and 'Race' - Removed
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Tools and Techniques for Social Science Simulation - Removed
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Communities and Networks: Using Social Network Analysis to Rethink Urban and Community Studies
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.