[PDF] Bio-Politics and the Emergence of Modern Architecture (FORuM Project Publications) (Princeton Architectural Press)
Posted on 2018-01-18, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Sven-Olov Wallenstein | Publisher: Princeton Architectural Press | Category: Architecture | Language: English | Page: 96 | ISBN: 1568987854 | ISBN13: 9781568987859 |
Description: This book introduces Michel Foucault's work on biopolitics to an architectural audience. It explores Foucault's conception of biopolitics in order to analyze the emergence of modern architectural theory at the end of the 18th C. His views on power are used to understand how architectural concepts and practices come to structure life, and how they work to shape the modern individual. A horrifyingly beautiful example of this is the concept of the panopticon: a circular prison designed in 1785 which allows a prison guard or other observe to see all prisoners without the prisoners being able to tell whether they are being watched. In other words, a centralized policing system. The concept of biopolitics is increasingly important in cultural/literary studies as taken up by other thinkers such as Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt in their best selling books Empire and Multitudes. This book is also being published on the heels of the release of the first English translation of Foucault's The Birth of Biopolitics (release date June 10, 2008, Palgrave Macmillan), based on Foucault's course taught at the College de France in 1978-1979 and continuing some of the concepts of identity explored in The History of Sexuality and which should be of great interest to scholarly architectural thinkers. The book uses the structure and institution of the hospital as a case study for familiarizing the concept to the architect/architecture student. A part of the FORuM Project publication series published in association with the Temple Hoyne Buell Center for the Study of American Architecture at Columbia University.
Bio-Politics and the Emergence of Modern Architecture (FORuM Project Publications) (Princeton Architectural Press).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35447
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Popular Politics and the English Reformation (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Figures of a Changing World: Metaphor and the Emergence of Modern Culture
- 2020-04-30Figures of a Changing World: Metaphor and the Emergence of Modern Culture
- 2018-10-29From Subject to Citizen The Second Empire and the Emergence of Modern French Democracy
- 2018-06-27The Pope Who Would Be King The Exile of Pius IX and the Emergence of Modern Europe
- 2018-05-02The Pope Who Would Be King: The Exile of Pius IX and the Emergence of Modern Europe
- 2018-01-30[PDF] American Politics and the Environment, Second Edition
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Space, Politics, and Cultural Representation in Modern China: Cartographies of Revolution (Routledge Contemporary China Series)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Literary Coteries and the Making of Modern Print Culture: 1740-1790
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Total Wars and the Making of Modern Ukraine, 1914-1954
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Hermeneutics, Politics, and the History of Religions: The Contested Legacies of Joachim Wach and Mircea Eliade
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Pliny the Elder and the Emergence of Renaissance Architecture
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Eric Voegelin and the Foundations of Modern Political Science
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Business Politics and the State in Twentieth-Century Latin America
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Dialectics, Politics, and the Contemporary Value of Hegel's Practical Philosophy (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Philosophy)
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Cultural Politics and the Transatlantic Divide over GMOs: Cultures of Nature - Removed
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Power, Politics and the Emotions: Impossible Governance? (Social Justice)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Language Contact and the Development of Modern Hebrew
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Rules, Politics, and the International Criminal Court: Committing to the Court (Global Institutions)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.