[PDF] Baseball in Blue and Gray: The National Pastime during the Civil War
Posted on 2018-01-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: George B. Kirsch | Publisher: Princeton University Press | Category: Sport | Language: English | Page: 168 | ISBN: 0691130434 | ISBN13: 9780691130439 |
Description: During the Civil War, Americans from homefront to battlefront played baseball as never before. While soldiers slaughtered each other over the country's fate, players and fans struggled over the form of the national pastime. George Kirsch gives us a color commentary of the growth and transformation of baseball during the Civil War. He shows that the game was a vital part of the lives of many a soldier and civilian and that baseball's popularity had everything to do with surging American nationalism. By 1860, baseball was poised to emerge as the American sport. Clubs in northeastern and a few southern cities played various forms of the game. Newspapers published statistics, and governing bodies set rules. But the Civil War years proved crucial in securing the game's place in the American heart. Soldiers with bats in their rucksacks spread baseball to training camps, war prisons, and even front lines. As nationalist fervor heightened, baseball became patriotic. Fans honored it with the title of national pastime. War metaphors were commonplace in sports reporting, and charity games were scheduled. Decades later, Union general Abner Doubleday would be credited (wrongly) with baseball's invention. The Civil War period also saw key developments in the sport itself, including the spread of the New York-style of play, the advent of revised pitching rules, and the growth of commercialism. Kirsch recounts vivid stories of great players and describes soldiers playing ball to relieve boredom. He introduces entrepreneurs who preached the gospel of baseball, boosted female attendance, and found new ways to make money. We witness bitterly contested championships that enthralled whole cities. We watch African Americans embracing baseball despite official exclusion. And we see legends spring from the pens of early sportswriters. Rich with anecdotes and surprising facts, this narrative of baseball's coming-of-age reveals the remarkable extent to which America's national pastime is bound up with the country's defining event.
Baseball in Blue and Gray: The National Pastime during the Civil War.pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
9119 dl's @ 3504 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
6474 dl's @ 2277 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
8165 dl's @ 3640 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] Baseball in Blue and Gray: The National Pastime during the Civil War
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 34967
- 2022-03-18Baseball in Blue and Gray The National Pastime during the Civil War
- 2014-03-05Baseball in Blue and Gray: The National Pastime during the Civil War
- 2012-05-16Military Uniforms in America Vol.III Long Endure: The Civil War Period 1852-1867
- 2012-01-241861: The Civil War Awakening
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Shades of Blue and Gray: Ghosts of the Civil War
- 2022-07-23Victors in Blue How Union Generals Fought the Confederates, Battled Each Other, and Won the Civil War (Modern War Studi
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Stephen and Matilda: The Civil War of 1139-53
- 2012-05-16The Illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War
- 2021-11-23Household War : How Americans Lived and Fought the Civil War
- 2020-02-25Bodies in Blue: Disability in the Civil War North (UnCivil Wars Ser.)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] United States Navy Monitors of the Civil War (Warship Profile 36)
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Broken Promises: A Novel of the Civil War - Removed
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Ulysses S. Grant (Leaders of the Civil War Era)
- 2017-11-24[PDF] U.S. Army Campaigns of the Civil War: The Civil War Ends, 1865
- 2017-10-14[PDF] Harriet Beecher Stowe (Leaders of the Civil War Era)
- 2017-10-05[PDF] This Birth Place of Souls: The Civil War Nursing Diary of Harriet Eaton
- 2017-04-11[PDF] A People's History of the Civil War: Struggles for the Meaning of Freedom
- 2017-02-07[PDF] Broken Promises: A Novel of the Civil War - Removed
- 2017-01-10[PDF] This Birth Place of Souls: The Civil War Nursing Diary of Harriet Eaton
No comments for "[PDF] Baseball in Blue and Gray: The National Pastime during the Civil War".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.