[PDF] Aristophanes' Thesmophoriazusae: Philosophizing Theatre and the Politics of Perception in Late Fifth-Century Athens (Cambridge Classical Studies)
Posted on 2017-11-11, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ashley Clements | Publisher: Cambridge University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 244 | ISBN: 1107040825 | ISBN13: 9781107040823 |
Description: Aristophanes' comic masterpiece Thesmophoriazusae has long been recognized amongst the plays of Old Comedy for its deconstruction of tragic theatricality. This book reveals that this deconstruction is grounded not simply in Aristophanes' wider engagement with tragic realism. Rather, it demonstrates that from its outset Aristophanes' play draws upon Parmenides' philosophical revelations concerning reality and illusion, employing Eleatic strictures and imagery to philosophize the theatrical situation, criticize Aristophanes' poetic rival Euripides as promulgator of harmful deceptions, expose the dangerous complicity of Athenian theatre audiences in tragic illusion, and articulate political advice to an audience negotiating a period of political turmoil characterized by deception and uncertainty (the months before the oligarchic coup of 411 BC). The book thereby restores Thesmophoriazusae to its proper status as a philosophical comedy and reveals hitherto unrecognized evidence of Aristophanes' political use of Eleatic ideas during the late fifth century BC.
Aristophanes' Thesmophoriazusae: Philosophizing Theatre and the Politics of Perception in Late Fifth-Century Athens (Cambridge Classical Studies).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33357
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Assimilating Seoul: Japanese Rule and the Politics of Public Space in Colonial Korea, 1910-1945 (Asia Pacific Modern)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Brother Bill: President Clinton and the Politics of Race and Class
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Fashioning Lives: Black Queers and the Politics of Literacy
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Casualties of Care: Immigration and the Politics of Humanitarianism in France
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Vagabond Witness: Victor Serge and the Politics of Hope
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Radio and the Politics of Sound in Interwar France, 1921-1939 (Cambridge Social and Cultural Histories)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Contested Tastes: Foie Gras and the Politics of Food (Princeton Studies in Cultural Sociology)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Turf Wars: Discourse, Diversity, and the Politics of Place (New Directions in Ethnography)
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Divided Spirits: Tequila, Mezcal, and the Politics of Production (California Studies in Food and Culture)
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Facing Eugenics: Reproduction, Sterilization, and the Politics of Choice
- 2017-10-29[PDF] American Superrealism: Nathanael West and the Politics of Representation in the 1930s (Wisconsin Project on American Writers)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Israeli Cinema: East/West and the Politics of Representation (Modern Middle East Studies)
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Security, Emancipation and the Politics of Health: A New Theoretical Perspective (PRIO New Security Studies)
- 2017-10-18[PDF] Managing Egypt's Poor and the Politics of Benevolence, 1800-1952 - Removed
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Visual Peace: Images, Spectatorship, and the Politics of Violence (Rethinking Peace and Conflict Studies) - Removed
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Political Descent: Malthus, Mutualism, and the Politics of Evolution in Victorian England
- 2017-10-14[PDF] Restricted Access: Media, Disability, and the Politics of Participation
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Strategically Created Treaty Conflicts and the Politics of International Law (Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law)
- 2017-10-12[PDF] All Rise: Somebodies, Nobodies, and the Politics of Dignity
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.