[PDF] Architecture and Hagiography in the Ottoman Empire: The Politics of Bektashi Shrines in the Classical Age
Posted on 2017-11-19, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Zeynep Yurekli | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 1409411060 |
Description: Based on a thorough examination of buildings, inscriptions, archival documents and hagiographies, this book uncovers the political significance of Bektashi shrines in the Ottoman imperial age. It thus provides a fresh and comprehensive account of the formative process of the Bektashi order, which started out as a network of social groups that took issue with Ottoman imperial policies in the late fifteenth century, was endorsed imperially as part of Bayezid II's (r. 1481-1512) soft power policy, and was kept in check by imperial authorities as the Ottoman approach to the Safavid conflict hardened during the rest of the sixteenth century. This book demonstrates that it was a combination of two collective activities that established the primary parameters of Bektashi culture from the late fifteenth century onwards. One was the writing of Bektashi hagiographies they linked hitherto distinct social groups (such as wandering dervishes and warriors) with each other through the lives of historical figures who were their patron saints, idols and identity markers (such as the saint HacA+- BektaAY and the martyr Seyyid Gazi), while incorporating them into Ottoman history in creative ways. The other one was the architectural remodelling of the saints' shrines. In terms of style, imagery and content, this interrelated literary and architectural output reveals a complicated process of negotiation with the imperial order and its cultural paradigms. Examined in more detail in the book are the shrines of Seyyid Gazi and HacA+- BektaAY and associated legends and hagiographies. Though established as independent institutions in medieval Anatolia, they were joined in the emerging Bektashi network under the Ottomans, became its principal centres and underwent radical architectural transformation, mainly under the patronage of raider commanders based in the Balkans. In the process, they thus came to occupy an intermediary socio-political zone between the Ottoman empire and its contestants in the sixteenth century.
Architecture and Hagiography in the Ottoman Empire: The Politics of Bektashi Shrines in the Classical Age.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33578
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Architecture and Design for the Future Internet: 4WARD Project - Removed
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Architecture and Nihilism: On the Philosophy of Modern Architecture
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Architecture and Nihilism: On the Philosophy of Modern Architecture
- 2021-03-02The Rent of Form: Architecture and Labor in the Digital Age
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Rhetoric and Ethics in the Cybernetic Age: The Transhuman Condition (Routledge Studies in Rhetoric and Communication)
- 2017-12-05[PDF] Hypernumbers and Extrafunctions: Extending the Classical Calculus - Removed
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Rhetoric and Ethics in the Cybernetic Age: The Transhuman Condition (Routledge Studies in Rhetoric and Communication)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Scholars and Sultans in the Early Modern Ottoman Empire
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Economics and Capitalism in the Ottoman Empire (Routledge Studies in the History of Economics)
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Revolution and Constitutionalism in the Ottoman Empire and Iran
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire: Complete and Unabridged
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Center Places and Cherokee Towns: Archaeological Perspectives on Native American Architecture and Landscape in the Southern Appalachians
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Architecture and the Virtual
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The City Rehearsed: Object, Architecture, and Print in the Worlds of Hans Vredeman de Vries (The Classical Tradition in Architecture)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Architecture;: An introduction to the history and theory of the art of building.
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Architecture and Modernity: A Critique (The MIT Press)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire: Complete and Unabridged
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Collapse and Recovery of the Roman Empire
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Architecture and the Welfare State
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.