[PDF] American Organic: A Cultural History of Farming, Gardening, Shopping, and Eating (Cultureamerica)
Posted on 2017-11-07, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Robin O'Sullivan | Category: Cooking | Language: English | Page: 408 | ISBN: 0700621334 | ISBN13: 9780700621330 |
Description: In 1947, when J. I. Rodale, editor of Organic Gardening , declared, "the Revolution has begun," a mere 60,000 readers and a ragtag army of followers rallied to the cause, touting the benefits of food grown with all-natural humus. More than a half century later, organic farming is part of a multi-billion-dollar industry, spreading from the family farm to agricultural conglomerates, and from the supermarket to the farmer's market to the dinner tables of families all across America. In the organic zeitgeist the adage "you are what you eat" truly applies, and this book reveals what the dynamics of organic culture tells us about who we are. Rodale's goal was to improve individuals and the world. American Organics shows how the organic movement has been more successful in the former than the latter, while preserving connections to environmentalism, agrarianism, and nutritional dogma. With the unbiased eye of a cultural historian, Robin O'Sullivan traces the movement from agricultural pioneers in the 1940s to hippies in the 1960s to consumer activists today from a countercultural moment to a mainstream concern, with advocates in highbrow culinary circles, agri-business, and mom-and-pop grocery stores. Her approach is holistic, examining intersections of farmers, gardeners, consumers, government regulations, food shipping venues, advertisements, books, grassroots groups, and mega-industries involved in all echelons of the organic food movement. In American Organic we see how organic growing and consumption has been everything from a practical decision, lifestyle choice, and status marker to a political deed, subversive effort, and social philosophy and how organic production and consumption are entrenched in the lives of all Americans, whether they eat organic food or not. Robin O'Sullivan is full-time lecturer in the history department at Troy University.
American Organic: A Cultural History of Farming, Gardening, Shopping, and Eating (Cultureamerica).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33215
- 2020-08-05American Organic: A Cultural History of Farming, Gardening, Shopping, and Eating (CultureAmerica)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Technology and the Logic of American Racism: A Cultural History of the Body as Evidence (Critical Research in Material Culture)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Financing the American Dream: a Cultural History of Consumer Credit
- 2020-07-11The American Robot A Cultural History
- 2019-07-08@#(Excellent) - Why You Should Read The Edge of the World: A Cultural History of the North Sea and the Transformation of Europe by Michael Pye Online or Download [$PDF $EPUB $MOBI]
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon
- 2018-01-25[PDF] American Settler Colonialism: A History - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] American Museum of Natural History Birds of North America
- 2018-01-14[PDF] A Cultural History of Pregnancy: Pregnancy, Medicine and Culture, 1750-2000 - Removed
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Engineering Empires: A Cultural History of Technology in Nineteenth-Century Britain - Removed
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Italian Cuisine: A Cultural History (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Sahara: A Cultural History (Landscapes of the Imagination)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Submarine: A Cultural History from the Great War to Nuclear Combat (International Library of War Studies)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] American Places: Encounters with History
- 2017-12-22[PDF] American Indian Education: A History
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Only Connect: A Cultural History of Broadcasting in the United States
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Grave Desire: A Cultural History of Necrophilia
- 2017-12-08[PDF] The Land of the Five Flavors: A Cultural History of Chinese Cuisine (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] American Revolutions: A Continental History, 1750-1804
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.