[PDF] Ain't Scared of Your Jail: Arrest, Imprisonment, and the Civil Rights Movement (New Perspectives on the History of the South)
Posted on 2017-11-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Zoe A. Colley | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 172 | ISBN: 0813042410 | ISBN13: 9780813042411 |
Description: "Examines the history of the civil rights movement and the criminal justice system beyond the court rooms and into the arrests, jail cells, and prisons that were the locus of grassroots protests and organizing." Robert Cassanello, coeditor of Migration and the Transformation of the Southern Workplace since 1945 Imprisonment became a badge of honor for many protestors during the civil rights movement. With the popularization of expressions such as "jail-no-bail" and "jail-in," civil rights activists sought to transform arrest and imprisonment from something to be feared to a platform for the cause. Beyond Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letters from the Birmingham Jail," there has been little discussion on the incarceration experiences of civil rights activists. In her debut book, Zoe Colley does what no historian has done before by following civil rights activists inside the southern jails and prisons to explore their treatment and the different responses that civil rights organizations had to mass arrest and imprisonment. Colley focuses on the shift in philosophical and strategic responses of civil rights protestors from seeing jail as something to be avoided to seeing it as a way to further the cause. Imprisonment became a way to expose the evils of segregation, and highlighted to the rest of American society the injustice of southern racism. By drawing together the narratives of many individuals and organizations, Colley paints a clearer picture of how the incarceration of civil rights activists helped shape the course of the movement. She places imprisonment at the forefront of civil rights history and shows how these new attitudes toward arrest continue to impact contemporary society and shape strategies for civil disobedience. Zoe A. Colley is lecturer in American history at the University of Dundee.
Ain't Scared of Your Jail: Arrest, Imprisonment, and the Civil Rights Movement (New Perspectives on the History of the South).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33411
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Ain't Scared of Your Jail: Arrest, Imprisonment, and the Civil Rights Movement (New Perspectives on the History of the South)
- 2017-10-14[PDF] Rainbow Rights: The Role of Lawyers and Courts in the Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights Movement
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Protecting Intellectual Freedom in Your Academic Library: Scenarios from the Front Lines (Intellectual Freedom Front Lines)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Brew it Yourself: Make Your Own Wine, Beer, and Other Concoctions
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Seven Ways to Lighten Your Life Before You Kick the Bucket
- 2018-01-14[PDF] High School Physics Unlocked: Your Key to Understanding and Mastering Complex Physics Concepts (High School Subject Review)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] How's Your Drink?: Cocktails, Culture, and the Art of Drinking Well
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Advanced programming techniques for your Atari including graphics and voice programs
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention
- 2017-12-21[PDF] 93 Ways to Make Your Website More Member Friendly (The Membership Management Report)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] 87 Ways to Make Your Website More Volunteer Friendly (The Volunteer Management Report)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Big Data Marketing: Engage Your Customers More Effectively and Drive Value
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Open Services Innovation: Rethinking Your Business to Grow and Compete in a New Era
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Succeed for Yourself: Unlock Your Potential for Success and Happiness
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Wanted: A Spiritual Pursuit Through Jail, Among Outlaws, and Across Borders
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Fine Cooking In Season: Your Guide to Choosing and Preparing the Season's Best
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Think Yourself Successful: Rewire Your Mind, Become Confident, and Achieve Your Goals
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Teach, Reflect, Learn: Building Your Capacity for Success in the Classroom
- 2017-11-16[PDF] Having It All: Achieving Your Life's Goals and Dreams
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.