Posted on 2017-12-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Nicholas Wade | Category: Biology | Language: English | Page: 288 | ISBN: 1594204462 | ISBN13: 9781594204463 |
Description: Fewer ideas have been more toxic or harmful than the idea of the biological reality of race, and with it the idea that humans of different races are biologically different from one another. For this understandable reason, the idea has been banished from polite academic conversation. Arguing that race is more than just a social construct can get a scholar run out of town, or at least off campus, on a rail. Human evolution, the consensus view insists, ended in prehistory. Inconveniently, as Nicholas Wade argues in A Troublesome Inheritance, the consensus view cannot be right. And in fact, we know that populations have changed in the past few thousand yearsâ€”to be lactose tolerant, for example, and to survive at high altitudes. Race is not a bright-line distinction by definition it means that the more human populations are kept apart, the more they evolve their own distinct traits under the selective pressure known as Darwinian evolution. For many thousands of years, most human populations stayed where they were and grew distinct, not just in outward appearance but in deeper senses as well. Wade, the longtime journalist covering genetic advances for The New York Times, draws widely on the work of scientists who have made crucial breakthroughs in establishing the reality of recent human evolution. The most provocative claims in this book involve the genetic basis of human social habits. What we might call middle-class social traitsâ€”thrift, docility, nonviolenceâ€”have been slowly but surely inculcated genetically within agrarian societies, Wade argues. These â€œvaluesâ€ obviously had a strong cultural component, but Wade points to evidence that agrarian societies evolved away from hunter-gatherer societies in some crucial respects. Also controversial are his findings regarding the genetic basis of traits we associate with intelligence, such as literacy and numeracy, in certain ethnic populations, including the Chinese and Ashkenazi Jews. Wade believes deeply in the fundamental equality of all human peoples. He also believes that science is best served by pursuing the truth without fear, and if his mission to arrive at a coherent summa of what the new genetic science does and does not tell us about race and human history leads straight into a minefield, then so be it. This will not be the last word on the subject, but it will begin a powerful and overdue conversation.
A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34736
- 2020-07-28A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History
- 2018-11-27A Troublesome Inheritance Genes, Race and Human History
- 2014-05-29A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History
- 2014-05-17A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History
- 2014-05-06A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Embattled Wilderness: The Natural and Human History of Robinson Forest and the Fight for Its Future
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Nature Via Nurture: Genes, Experience, and What Makes Us Human
- 2011-06-10Research-Based Web Design & Usability Guidelines
- 2009-03-20Human Biodiversity: Genes, Race, and History (Foundations of Human Behavior)
- 2018-11-20A Dark Inheritance Blood, Race, and Sex in Colonial Jamaica
- 2018-03-20Genes, Brains, and Human Potential: The Science and Ideology of Intelligence
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Denying AIDS: Conspiracy Theories, Pseudoscience, and Human Tragedy - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Man the Hunted: Primates, Predators, and Human Evolution, Expanded Edition
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Pilgrims in Medicine: Conscience, Legalism and Human Rights: An Allegory of Medical Humanities, Foundational Virtues, Ethical Principles, Law and ... Medical Personal and Professional Development
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Jimmy Carter in Africa: Race and the Cold War (Cold War International History Project)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Race-ing Art History: Critical Readings in Race and Art History
- 2018-01-25[PDF] River Notes: A Natural and Human History of the Colorado
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Bounds of Their Habitation: Race and Religion in American History (American Ways Series)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Geometries of Nature, Living Systems And Human Cognition: New Interactions of Mathematics With Natural Sciences And Humanities
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.