[PDF] A Civil War Gunboat in Pacific Waters: Life on Board USS Saginaw (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
Posted on 2017-11-11, updated at 2017-11-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Hans Konrad Van Tilburg | Publisher: University Press of Florida | Category: Military Science | Language: English | Page: 368 | ISBN: 0813035163 | ISBN13: 9780813035161 |
Description: "An epic shipwreck tale. Sacrifice and heroism are recounted in a comprehensive study of a ship that embodied America's role in the nineteenth-century Pacific as Yankee enterprise helped open Asia to trade. Well-researched, well-written, this book also takes readers for the first time into Saginaw's long-lost grave beneath the sea."James P. Delgado, president, The Institute of Nautical Archaeology "An impressive study of a naval vessel from construction to destruction."William Still Jr., author of Crisis at Sea The USS Saginaw was a Civil War gunboat that served in Pacific and Asian waters between 1860 and 1870. During this decade, the crew witnessed the trade disruptions of the Opium Wars, the Taiping Rebellion, the transportation of Confederate sailors to Central America, the French intervention in Mexico, and the growing presence of American naval forces in Hawaii. In 1870, the ship sank at one of the world's most remote coral reefs her crew was rescued sixty-eight days later after a dramatic open-boat voyage. More than 130 years later, Hans Van Tilburg led the team that discovered and recorded the Saginaw's remains near the Kure Atoll reef. Van Tilburg's narrative provides fresh insights and a vivid retelling of a classic naval shipwreck. He provides a fascinating perspective on the watershed events in history that reshaped the Pacific during these years. And the tale of archaeological search and discovery reveals that adventure is still to be found on the high seas.
A Civil War Gunboat in Pacific Waters: Life on Board USS Saginaw (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33363
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Admiral Lord Keith and the Naval War against Napoleon (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Stalking the U-Boat: U.S. Naval Aviation in Europe during World War I (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology (Hardcover))
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Sovereignty at Sea: U.S. Merchant Ships and American Entry into World War I (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Commodore Abraham Whipple of the Continental Navy: Privateer, Patriot, Pioneer (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Borderland Smuggling: Patriots, Loyalists, and Illicit Trade in the Northeast, 1783-1820 (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] In the Shadow of the Alabama: The British Foreign Office and the American Civil War (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeolog)
- 2020-08-18In the Shadow of the Alabama: The British Foreign Office and the American Civil War (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeolog)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Working in the Wings: New Perspectives on Theatre History and Labor (Theater in the Americas)
- 2017-11-09[PDF] The Ballets Russes and Beyond: Music and Dance in Belle-Epoque Paris (New Perspectives in Music History and Criticism)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Civil War on the Mississippi: Union Sailors, Gunboat Captains, and the Campaign to Control the River
- 2012-06-03The Flags of Civil War Alabama
- 2012-05-16Military Uniforms in America Vol.III Long Endure: The Civil War Period 1852-1867
- 2012-05-16The Illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War
- 2012-03-13Civil War Poster Book
- 2012-01-241861: The Civil War Awakening
- 2018-01-25[PDF] English Civil War (Warhammer Ancient Battles)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Civil War Almanac
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Civil War: A History in Documents (Pages from History)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.