Posted on 2017-11-18, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Noah J. Efron | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 168 | ISBN: 1421413817 | ISBN13: 9781421413815 |
Description: Scholars have struggled for decades to explain why Jews have succeeded extravagantly in modern science. A variety of controversial theoriesâ€”from such intellects as C. P. Snow, Norbert Wiener, and Nathaniel Weylâ€”have been promoted. Snow hypothesized an evolved genetic predisposition to scientific success. Wiener suggested that the breeding habits of Jews sustained hereditary qualities conducive for learning. Economist and eugenicist Weyl attributed Jewish intellectual eminence to "seventeen centuries of breeding for scholars." Rejecting the idea that Jews have done well in science because of uniquely Jewish traits, Jewish brains, and Jewish habits of mind, historian of science Noah J. Efron approaches the Jewish affinity for science through the geographic and cultural circumstances of Jews who were compelled to settle in new worlds in the early twentieth century. Seeking relief from religious persecution, millions of Jews resettled in the United States, Palestine, and the Soviet Union, with large concentrations of settlers in New York, Tel Aviv, and Moscow. Science played a large role in the lives and livelihoods of these immigrants: it was a universal force that transcended the arbitrary Old World orders that had long ensured the exclusion of all but a few Jews from the seats of power, wealth, and public esteem. Although the three destinations were far apart geographically, the links among the communities were enduring and spirited. This shared experienceâ€”of facing the future in new worlds, both physical and conceptualâ€”provided a generation of Jews with opportunities unlike any their parents and grandparents had known. The tumultuous recent century of Jewish history, which saw both a methodical campaign to blot out Europe's Jews and the inexorable absorption of Western Jews into the societies in which they now live, is illuminated by the place of honor science held in Jewish imaginations. Science was central to their dreams of creating new worldsâ€”welcoming worldsâ€”for a persecuted people. This provocative work will appeal to historians of science as well as scholars of religion, Jewish studies, and Zionism.
A Chosen Calling: Jews in Science in the Twentieth Century.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33556
- 2018-11-27A Chosen Calling Jews in Science in the Twentieth Century
- 2014-05-27A Chosen Calling: Jews in Science in the Twentieth Century
- 2014-05-02A Chosen Calling: Jews in Science in the Twentieth Century
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century - Removed
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Analyzing Criminal Minds: Forensic Investigative Science for the 21st Century (Brain, Behavior, and Evolution)
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Analyzing Criminal Minds: Forensic Investigative Science for the 21st Century (Brain, Behavior, and Evolution)
- 2021-04-17Science In The Twentieth Century Guidebook 2
- 2021-04-10Goldman Science In The Twentieth Century Guidebook 3 - Removed
- 2020-11-07Goldman Science In The Twentieth Century Guidebook 3
- 2018-01-13[PDF] A Torch Kept Lit: Great Lives of the Twentieth Century
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Ezra Pound as Literary Critic (Critics of the Twentieth Century)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Origins of Political Extremism: Mass Violence in the Twentieth Century and Beyond
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Extreme Medicine: How Exploration Transformed Medicine in the Twentieth Century [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Driving Europe: Building Europe on Roads in the Twentieth Century (Foundation for the History of Technology & Aksant Academic Publishers Technology & European History)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Balkan Genocides: Holocaust and Ethnic Cleansing in the Twentieth Century (Studies in Genocide: Religion, History, and Human Rights)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Witchcraft and Magic in Europe, Vol. 6: The Twentieth Century (Witchcraft and Magic in Europe)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Extreme Medicine: How Exploration Transformed Medicine in the Twentieth Century - Removed
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Final Solutions: Mass Killing and Genocide in the Twentieth Century (Cornell Studies in Security Affairs)
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Ezra Pound as Literary Critic (Critics of the Twentieth Century)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.