Author: Sara Dubow
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
Posted on 2011-07-03, by sharebookfree.
Ourselves Unborn: A History of the Fetus in Modern America
Sara Dubow | Oxford University Press, USA | 2011-12-03 | 320 pages | English | PDF
During the past several decades, the fetus has been diversely represented in political debates, medical textbooks and journals, personal memoirs and autobiographies, museum exhibits and mass media, and civil and criminal law. Ourselves Unborn argues that the meanings people attribute to the fetus are not based simply on biological fact or theological truth, but are in fact strongly influenced by competing definitions of personhood and identity, beliefs about knowledge and authority, and assumptions about gender roles and sexuality. In addition, these meanings can be shaped by dramatic historical change: over the course of the twentieth century, medical and technological changes made fetal development more comprehensible, while political and social changes made the fetus a subject of public controversy. Moreover, since the late nineteenth century, questions about how fetal life develops and should be valued have frequently intersected with debates about the authority of science and religion, and the relationship between the individual and society. In examining the contested history of fetal meanings, Sara Dubow brings a fresh perspective to these vital debates.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 12112
- 2011-08-02Ourselves Unborn: A History of the Fetus in Modern America
- 2011-05-24Ourselves Unborn: A History of the Fetus in Modern America
- 2021-03-02The Reconstruction Era: A Captivating Guide to a Period in the History of the United States of America
- 2020-10-29The Peshtigo Fire of 1871: A Captivating Guide to the Deadliest Wildfire in the History of the United States of America
- 2020-05-01American History A Captivating Guide to the History of the United States of America, American Rev...
- 2020-01-09A Short History of the Confederate States of America
- 2018-06-27The Penguin History of the United States of America, 2nd Edition
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Fur, Fortune, and Empire: The Epic History of the Fur Trade in America
- 2018-01-01[PDF] A Concise History of the United States of America (Cambridge Concise Histories)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Creating the National Security State: A History of the Law That Transformed America
- 2017-12-24[PDF] History of the Jews in Modern Times
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Employee: A Political History (Politics and Culture in Modern America)
- 2017-11-25[PDF] A Centennial History of the Ecological Society of America
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Escape to Gold Mountain: A Graphic History of the Chinese in North America
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Crime and the Rise of Modern America: A History from 1865-1941
- 2017-10-05[PDF] History and the Texture of Modern Life: Selected Essays
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Crime and the Rise of Modern America: A History from 1865-1941
- 2017-01-09[PDF] History of the Jews in Modern Times
- 2016-12-27Fur, Fortune, and Empire The Epic History of the Fur Trade in America
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.