Posted on 2011-10-01, by downUp1st.
Author/s: Carol Zaleski
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
Publish Date: November, 1988
Pages / Duration: 288
File Type: PDF
Description:Dozens of books, articles, television shows, and films relating "near-death" experiences have appeared in the past decade. People who have survived a close brush with death reveal their extraordinary visions and ecstatic feelings at the moment they died, describing journeys through a tunnel to a realm of light, visual reviews of their past deeds, encounters with a benevolent spirit, and permanent transformation after returning to life.
Carol Zaleski's Otherworld Journeys offers the most comprehensive treatment to date of the evidence surrounding near-death experiences. The first to place researchers' findings, first-person accounts, and possible medical or psychological explanations in historical perspective, she discusses how these materials reflect the influence of contemporary culture. She demonstrates that modern near-death reports belong to a vast family of otherworld journey tales, with examples in nearly every religious heritage. She identifies universal as well as culturally specific features by comparing near-death narratives in two distinct periods of Western society: medieval Christendom and twentieth-century secular America. This comparison reveals profound similarities, such as the life-review and the transforming after-effects of the vision, as well as striking contrasts, such as the absence of hell or punishment scenes from modern accounts.
Mediating between the "debunkers" and the near-death researchers, Zaleski considers current efforts to explain near-death experience scientifically. She concludes by emphasizing the importance of the otherworld vision for understanding imaginative and religious experience in general.
- Ebooks list page : 14052
- 2011-08-10Otherworld Journeys: Accounts of Near-Death Experience in Medieval and Modern Times
- 2010-09-19Carol Zaleski - Otherworld Journeys: Accounts of Near-Death Experience in Medieval and Modern Times
- 2013-07-15The Varieties of Magical Experience: Indigenous, Medieval, and Modern Magic
- 2019-08-02#$(Favorable) - Why You Should Read God and the Afterlife: The Groundbreaking New Evidence for God and Near-Death Experience by Jeffrey Long Online or Download [^PDF ^EPUB ^MOBI]
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Lessons from the Light: What We Can Learn from the Near-Death Experience
- 2018-01-13[PDF] On The Other Side Of Life: Exploring the Phenomenon of the Near-Death Experience
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Conceptions of the Afterlife in Early Civilizations: Universalism, Constructivism and Near-Death Experience
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Application of Impossible Things: A Near Death Experience in Iraq
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Near-Death Experience and Journey Into the Afterlife [Audiobook]
- 2017-10-28[PDF] The Near Death Experience (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thriller Series Book 10)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] God and the Afterlife: The Groundbreaking New Evidence for God and Near-Death Experience
- 2017-01-16[PDF] On The Other Side Of Life: Exploring the Phenomenon of the Near-Death Experience
- 2016-12-28[PDF] God and the Afterlife: The Groundbreaking New Evidence for God and Near-Death Experience
- 2016-12-27[PDF] Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
- 2014-01-17Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience (Repost)
- 2013-05-08Pim Van Lommel - Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
- 2012-12-31Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Near-Death Experience and Journey into the Afterlife (Audiobook) By Eben M.D. Alexander
- 2012-12-31Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Near-Death Experience and Journey into the Afterlife (Audiobook)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.