Posted on 2014-05-17, by nobihai.
Newton: The Making of Genius
Patricia Fara, "Newton: The Making of Genius"
ISBN: 0333907353, 0330375881 | 2002 | EPUB | 384 pages | 6 MB
Isaac Newton has become an intellectual avatar for our modern age, the man who, as even children know, was inspired to codify nature's laws by watching an apple fall from a tree. Yet Newton devoted much of his energy to deciphering the mysteries of alchemy, theology, and ancient chronology. How did a man who was at first obscure to all but a few esoteric natural philosophers and Cambridge scholars, was preoccupied with investigations of millennial prophecies, and spent decades as Master of the London Mint become famous as the world's first great scientist? Patricia Fara demonstrates that Newton's reputation, surprisingly limited in his day, was carefully cultivated by devoted followers so that Newton's prestige became inseparable from the explosive growth of science itself.
Newton: The Making of Genius is not a conventional biography of the man but a cultural history of the interrelated origins of modern science, the concept of genius, and the phenomenon of fame. Beginning with the eighteenth century, when the word "scientist" had not even been coined, Fara reveals how the rise of Isaac Newton's status was inextricably linked to the development of science. His very surname has acquired brand-name-like associations with science, genius, and Britishness -- Apple Computers used it for an ill-fated companion to the Mac, and Margaret Thatcher has his image in her coat of arms.
Fara argues that Newton's escalating fame was intertwined with larger cultural changes: promoting him posthumously as a scientific genius was strategically useful for ambitious men who wanted to advertise the power of science. Because his reputation has been repeatedly reinterpreted, Newton has become an iconic figure who exists in several forms. His image has been so malleable, in fact, that we do not even reliably know what he looked like.
Newton's apotheosis was made possible by the consumer revolution that swept through the Atlantic world in the eighteenth century. His image adorned the walls, china, and ornamental coinage of socially aspiring British consumers seeking to identify themselves with this very smart man. Traditional impulses to saint worship were transformed into altogether new phenomena: commercialized fame and scientific genius, a secularized version of sanctity. Handsomely illustrated and engagingly written, this is an eye-opening history of the way Newton became a cultural icon whose ideas spread throughout the world and pervaded every aspect of life.
======= Download Links =======
===== Server 1 =====
===== Server 2 =====
===== Server 3 =====
- 2014-05-09Newton: The Making of Genius
- Ebooks list page : 26976
- 2019-03-24Newton The Making of Genius
- 2019-03-21Newton The Making of Genius
- 2019-03-18Newton The Making of Genius
- 2019-03-06Newton The Making of Genius
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Newton: The Making of Genius
- 2014-05-09Newton: The Making of Genius
- 2018-12-06Handel in London The Making of a Genius
- 2017-04-07[PDF] The Newtonian Moment: Isaac Newton and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Newtonian Moment: Isaac Newton and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2012-01-22Elminster: The Making of a Mage - Ed Greenwood
- 2012-01-01Elminster: The Making of a Mage
- 2011-12-20Design on the Edge: The Making of a High-Performance Building - David W. Orr
- 2011-12-15Design on the Edge: The Making of a High-Performance Building - David W. Orr
- 2011-12-11Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance
- 2011-11-26Design on the Edge: The Making of a High-Performance Building free ebook download
- 2011-11-25Wired Wilderness: Technologies of Tracking and the Making of Modern Wildlife (Animals, History, Culture) - Removed
- 2011-10-21Creek Paths and Federal Roads: Indians, Settlers, and Slaves and the Making of the American South - Removed
- 2011-10-18The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
- 2011-10-07More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.