Posted on 2020-07-09, by books_lover.
In the manner of Calvino's Invisible Cities, Wendy S. Walters's essays deftly explore the psyches of cities such as Chicago, Detroit, New York, Portsmouth, and Washington, D.C. In "Cleveland," she interviews an African-American playwright who draws great reviews, but can't muster an audience. An on-air telephone chat between a DJ and his listeners drives a discussion of race and nutrition in "Chicago Radio." In "Manhattanville" the author, out for a walk with her biracial son, is mistaken for his nanny. Each essay explores societal questions—how eras of immense growth can leave us unable to prosper from that growth, how places intended for safety become fraught with danger, and how race and gender bias threaten our communities. Walters's haunting utterances are beautifully precise estimations of a place and its people.
- Ebooks list page : 44063
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Multiply/Divide: On the American Real and Surreal
- 2012-01-11Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2012-01-08Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2011-05-21The American Heritage Book of English Usage: A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English
- 2012-06-07Retreat, Hell! We Just Got Here: The American Expeditionary Force in France 1917-18 (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2011-11-08The American Rhetorical Construction of the Iranian Nuclear Threat
- 2011-10-15The American Heritage Book of English Usage
- 2011-08-13Steel Bridge Construction, Myths & Realities
- 2021-09-13AWS Certified Learn the secrets to passing the aws exams and getting all the certifications real and unique practice
- 2021-09-10Lincoln Unbound How an Ambitious Young Railsplitter Saved the American Dream--and How We Can Do It Again
- 2021-07-26The American Century and Beyond - U S Foreign Relations, 1893-2014, 2nd Edition
- 2021-07-24The Cause: The American Revolution and its Discontents, 1773-1783
- 2021-01-29The Daughters of the American Revolution and Patriotic Memory in the Twentieth Century
- 2021-01-09The American Founding and the Social Compact
- 2021-01-02Access to History: The American Revolution and the Birth of the USA 1740 1801, 3rd Edition
- 2020-08-23The Digital City The American Metropolis and Information Technology
- 2020-07-26The American South and the Vietnam War: Belligerence, Protest, and Agony in Dixie (Studies In Conflict Diplomacy Peace)
- 2020-07-16The American South and the Vietnam War - Belligerence, Protest, and Agony in Dixie
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.