Posted on 2020-12-13, by book24h.
Missionaries, Converts, and Rabbis: The Evangelical Alexander McCaul and Jewish-Christian Debate in the Nineteenth Century (Jewish Culture and Contexts) by David B. Ruderman
English | November 8th, 2020 | ISBN: 0812252144 | 280 pages | True EPUB | 5.78 MB
An examination of the life and work of Alexander McCaul and his impact on Jewish-Christian relations
In Missionaries, Converts, and Rabbis, David B. Ruderman considers the life and works of prominent evangelical missionary Alexander McCaul (1799-1863), who was sent to Warsaw by the London Society for the Promotion of Christianity Amongst the Jews. He and his family resided there for nearly a decade, which afforded him the opportunity to become a scholar of Hebrew and rabbinic texts. Returning to England, he quickly rose up through the ranks of missionaries to become a leading figure and educator in the organization and eventually a professor of post-biblical studies at Kings College, London. In 1837, McCaul published The Old Paths, a powerful critique of rabbinic Judaism that, once translated into Hebrew and other languages, provoked controversy among Jews and Christians alike.
Ruderman first examines McCaul in his complexity as a Hebraist affectionately supportive of Jews while opposing the rabbis. He then focuses his attention on a larger network of his associates, both allies and foes, who interacted with him and his ideas: two converts who came under his influence but eventually broke from him; two evangelical colleagues who challenged his aggressive proselytizing among the Jews; and, lastly, three Jewish thinkers-two well-known scholars from Eastern Europe and a rabbi from Syria-who refuted his charges against the rabbis and constructed their own justifications for Judaism in the mid-nineteenth century.
Missionaries, Converts, and Rabbis reconstructs a broad transnational conversation between Christians, Jews, and those in between, opening a new vista for understanding Jewish and Christian thought and the entanglements between the two faith communities that persist in the modern era. Extending the geographical and chronological reach of his previous books, Ruderman continues his exploration of the impact of Jewish-Christian relations on Jewish self-reflection and the phenomenon of mingled identities in early modern and modern Europe.
Visit My Profile News Here : https://www.ebookee.com/user/book24h
- Ebooks list page : 45724
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Jewish Enlightenment (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Insight of Unbelievers: Nicholas of Lyra and Christian Reading of Jewish Text in the Later Middle Ages (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Beyond Religious Borders: Interaction and Intellectual Exchange in the Medieval Islamic World (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-04-02[PDF] The Jews of Eastern Europe, 1772-1881 (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2011-11-25The Insight of Unbelievers: Nicholas of Lyra and Christian Reading of Jewish Text in the Later Middle Ages (Jewish Culture and Contexts) - Removed
- 2011-10-09Old Worlds, New Mirrors: On Jewish Mysticism and Twentieth-Century Thought (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2011-09-18Old Worlds, New Mirrors: On Jewish Mysticism and Twentieth-Century Thought (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2011-06-09A Kingdom of Priests: Ancestry and Merit in Ancient Judaism (Jewish Culture and Contexts) - Removed
- 2011-05-14A Kingdom of Priests: Ancestry and Merit in Ancient Judaism (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2020-12-29Bastards and Believers Jewish Converts and Conversion from the Bible to the Present
- 2020-02-06Is there a Judeo-Christian Tradition? (Perspectives on Jewish Texts and Contexts)
- 2018-11-25The Essential Hayim Greenberg Essays and Addresses on Jewish Culture, Socialism, and Zionism
- 2018-11-24The Cambridge Dictionary of Judaism and Jewish Culture
- 2018-11-21The Essential Hayim Greenberg Essays and Addresses on Jewish Culture, Socialism, and Zionism
- 2018-06-03Models and Contacts Arabic Literature and Its Impact on Medieval Jewish Culture
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Catechizing Culture: Missionaries, Aymara, and the 'New Evangelization'
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Cambridge Dictionary of Judaism and Jewish Culture
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Into the World of the New Testament: Greco-Roman and Jewish Texts and Contexts
- 2017-10-27Ireland and Cinema: Culture and Contexts
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.