Author: Milo Beckman
Posted on 2020-11-16, updated at 2021-01-05, by temrick.
An illustrated tour of the structures and patterns we call "math"
The only numbers in this book are the page numbers.
Math Without Numbers is a vivid, conversational, and wholly original guide to the three main branches of abstract math—topology, analysis, and algebra—which turn out to be surprisingly easy to grasp. This book upends the conventional approach to math, inviting you to think creatively about shape and dimension, the infinite and infinitesimal, symmetries, proofs, and how these concepts all fit together. What awaits readers is a freewheeling tour of the inimitable joys and unsolved mysteries of this curiously powerful subject.
Like the classic math allegory Flatland, first published over a century ago, or Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach forty years ago, there has never been a math book quite like Math Without Numbers. So many popularizations of math have dwelt on numbers like pi or zero or infinity. This book goes well beyond to questions such as: How many shapes are there? Is anything bigger than infinity? And is math even true? Milo Beckman shows why math is mostly just pattern recognition and how it keeps on surprising us with unexpected, useful connections to the real world.
The ambitions of this book take a special kind of author. An inventive, original thinker pursuing his calling with jubilant passion. A prodigy. Milo Beckman completed the graduate-level course sequence in mathematics at age sixteen, when he was a sophomore at Harvard; while writing this book, he was studying the philosophical foundations of physics at Columbia under Brian Greene, among others.
- 2021-01-05Math Without Numbers
- Ebooks list page : 45261
- 2021-01-13Math Without Numbers [Audiobook]
- 2021-01-12Math Without Numbers [Audiobook]
- 2021-01-06Math Without Numbers, 2021 Edition
- 2021-01-05Math Without Numbers
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Math Without Numbers: The Mathematics of Ideas - Vol. 1 Foundations (Volume 1)
- 2021-03-21Math Beyond Numbers: Vector Analysis
- 2021-02-19Math Beyond Numbers: Vector Analysis
- 2021-02-07Math Beyond Numbers: Vector Analysis
- 2021-01-15Math Beyond Numbers Vector Analysis
- 2020-04-23Science without Numbers Ed 2
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Science Without Numbers: The Defence of Nominalism (Princeton Legacy Library)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Mathematics without Numbers: Towards a Modal-Structural Interpretation (Clarendon Paperbacks)
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Cooking Without Numbers - Everyday Eating
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Mathematics without Numbers: Towards a Modal-Structural Interpretation (Clarendon Paperbacks)
- 2014-04-01Mathematics without Numbers: Towards a Modal-Structural Interpretation (Clarendon Paperbacks)
- 2009-08-10Science Without Numbers: A Defence of Nominalism
- 2009-03-27Mathematics without Numbers: Towards a Modal-Structural Interpretation
- 2021-01-1350 Quantum Physics Questions in Plain Simple English Book 1: Simple and Easy Answers Without Math for Beginners [Audiobook]
- 2021-01-0850 Quantum Physics Questions in Plain Simple English Book 1 Simple and Easy Answers Without Math for...
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.