Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America (New Studies in American Intellectual and Cultural History)
Posted on 2010-01-23. By anonymous.
Publisher: The Johns Hopkins University Press | 2007 | ISBN 0801886333 | PDF | 344 pages | 1.1 MB
Because it provided the dominant framework for "development" of poor, postcolonial countries, modernization theory ranks among the most important constructs of twentieth-century social science. In Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America Nils Gilman offers the first intellectual history of a movement that has had far-reaching and often unintended consequences. After a survey of the theory's origins and its role in forming America's postwar sense of global mission, Gilman offers a close analysis of the people who did the most to promote it in the United States and the academic institutions they came to dominate. He first explains how Talcott Parsons at Harvard constructed a social theory that challenged the prevailing economics-centered understanding of the modernization process, then describes the work of Edward Shils and Gabriel Almond in helping Parsonsian ideas triumph over other alternative conceptions of the development process, and finally discusses the role of Walt Rostow and his colleagues at M.I.T. in promoting modernization theory during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations. By connecting modernization theory to the welfare state liberalism programs of the New Deal order, Gilman not only provides a new intellectual context for America's Third World during the Cold War, but also connects the optimism of the Great Society to the notion that American power and good intentions could stop the postcolonial world from embracing communism.
NO Mirrors !!!
- Ebooks list page : 4112
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America (New Studies in American Intellectual and Cultural History)
- 2012-04-23Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America [Repost]
- 2009-03-03Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Cybernetics Moment: Or Why We Call Our Age the Information Age (New Studies in American Intellectual and Cultural History) - Removed
- 2018-08-11The Refugee Challenge in Post-Cold War America
- 2012-01-21Examination of the U.S. Air Force’s Aircraft Sustainment Needs in the Future and Its Strategy to Meet Those Needs - Committee On Examination Of The U.S. Air Force's Aircraft Sustainment Needs In The Future And Its St
- 2012-01-19Governance and Opportunity in Metropolitan America - Committee On Improving The Future Of U.S. Cities Through Improved Metropolitan Area Governance
- 2012-01-01The Future of Photovoltaic Manufacturing in the United States by Rapp. Charles W. Wessner
- 2011-11-05Preparing for the Revolution: Information Technology and the Future of the Research University
- 2011-10-03China, India, and the United States: The Future of Economic Supremacy" [The Great Courses]
- 2011-09-12"The Future of Photovoltaic Manufacturing in the United States" by Rapp. Charles W. Wessner
- 2011-09-04Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy
- 2011-09-03The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health (Institute of Medicine)
- 2011-07-16Science and Technology and the Future Development of Societies: International Workshop Proceedings
- 2011-05-19Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy: Report of a Symposium
- 2011-07-08Psychoanalysis and the Future of Theory
- 2009-03-21Jean-Michel RabatÃ© - The Future of Theory
- 2009-03-21the FuTuRe of tHeOrY
- 2020-12-08The Future of Creation Order Vol. 2, Order Among Humans Humanities, Social Science and Normative Pra...
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.